From: Richard B. Gilbert on
Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Ian> I'm sure most people here do as I do and use their mail client
> Ian> (Thunderbird in my case) to access Usenet.
>
> What would it take to convince you that you're wrong? :)

A lot more than a suggestion such as the above!

I started using Usenet around 1985 and used the VMS mail client to read
messages.

These days I use my PC and the Thunderbird mail client.
From: Thomas Maier-Komor on
On 26.06.2010 03:51, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

>> Ian> I'm sure most people here do as I do and use their mail client
>> Ian> (Thunderbird in my case) to access Usenet.
>>
>> What would it take to convince you that you're wrong? :)
>>

> A lot more than a suggestion such as the above!
>
> I started using Usenet around 1985 and used the VMS mail client to read
> messages.
>
> These days I use my PC and the Thunderbird mail client.

me, too. And for Thunderbird there is a nice extension called
"Display Mail User Agent", which shows with an icon what tool people are
using to send their messages. Thunderbird is quite popular, but Google
mail is, too, as well as several other news clients such as tin, nn,
emacs, ...

- Thomas
From: Thommy M. on
"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88(a)comcast.net> writes:

> Ian Collins wrote:
>> On 06/26/10 08:51 AM, David Combs wrote:
>>>
>>> Come visit sometime (New Rochelle, NY, 35 min N of Grand Central Station)
>>> and I'll DEMONSTRATE this thing I (and many, many, MANY others too)
>>> use for reading "news", and you'll never go back to your web interface!
>>
>> I'm sure most people here do as I do and use their mail client
>> (Thunderbird in my case) to access Usenet.
>>

> You took the words right out of my fingers! I also use Thunderbird
> for mail and news.

Just to show that I remember how to do it, I had to fire up Emacs on my
OpenSolaris laptop to read/post with Gnus. It's been a while since... ;)

> Fashionable, or not, it gets the job done!

Yupp, Thunderbird is quite OK for me...
From: Richard L. Hamilton on
In article <88kjjdFkp1U1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Ian Collins <ian-news(a)hotmail.com> writes:
> On 06/26/10 08:51 AM, David Combs wrote:
>>
>> Come visit sometime (New Rochelle, NY, 35 min N of Grand Central Station)
>> and I'll DEMONSTRATE this thing I (and many, many, MANY others too)
>> use for reading "news", and you'll never go back to your web interface!
>
> I'm sure most people here do as I do and use their mail client
> (Thunderbird in my case) to access Usenet.

I used to use Mozilla (now SeaMonkey), but it was pretty clunky for
reading News. 99% of the time, I use dtmail for mail on Solaris
(which knows nothing about reading Usenet), and the Mac's native Mail
app on the Mac (ditto), so my usual mail clients give me no help there.
I probably have both Thunderbird and Evolution for Solaris, but neither
impressed me, except if for some reason I wanted encrypted mail or
Exchange interoperability or some such.

Nowadays I favor knews for Usenet. It's graphical, but threaded and can do
basic killfile stuff, and tagging . I even recompiled it for my Mac (I have
Unison for the Mac, but it's features are oriented towards folks that
have no idea what Usenet is, I think.) I started using knews when I
only had a dialup, because it will cache the message summary info for
threading. Threading a big group with trn over a dialup just took too
long. If I want to save messages, knews can save them in a directory
with one file per newsgroup, in mailbox format, which my mail readers
can then read.

From: Andrew Gabriel on
In article <d16Yn.6011$cO.1668(a)newsfe09.iad>,
rlhamil(a)smart.net (Richard L. Hamilton) writes:

> Nowadays I favor knews for Usenet.

Snap!

A shame it's no longer developed though.

--
Andrew Gabriel