From: hama08 on

it seems that comp.unix.solaris is dead ?
10 or 15 years ago, there were sometimes more than 100 new articles
per day.

where is the discussion now ?

kind regards
hans

From: chuckers on
On Jun 23, 5:31 pm, hama08 <hama08.2...(a)ma.yer.at> wrote:
> it seems that comp.unix.solaris is dead ?
> 10 or 15 years ago, there were sometimes more than 100 new articles
> per day.
>
> where is the discussion now ?
>
> kind regards
> hans
>
> --

Like letters "you gotta write 'em to get 'em."
From: Richard B. Gilbert on
hama08 wrote:
> it seems that comp.unix.solaris is dead ?
> 10 or 15 years ago, there were sometimes more than 100 new articles
> per day.
>
> where is the discussion now ?
>
> kind regards
> hans
>
> --

So if you go to the archives you should be able to find the answer, or
dozens of answers, to most, if not all, conceivable questions!

If you can ask a question that has not been answered dozens of times
over the years, somebody might wake up and answer it.

Or, perhaps, Solaris is dead and we just don't know it yet!
From: John L on

"hama08" <hama08.2009(a)ma.yer.at> wrote in message news:b77f9460-c637-42a5-97ce-242884ef8567(a)j8g2000yqd.googlegroups.com...

> it seems that comp.unix.solaris is dead ?
> 10 or 15 years ago, there were sometimes more than 100 new articles
> per day.
>
> where is the discussion now ?

There is no discussion now, because there is google to find
the answers to most questions, and blogs on which to rant.

Sunsolve too, for all its faults. In the old days, Sun sent you
a grey book once a month, containing bug reports and patch
details.

More subtly, perhaps the remaining questions are too hard,
or more likely too expensive, to answer easily and quickly.
Questions involving storage, clustering or enterprise backups,
for instance.

No, on reflection that is not it. Maybe it is that hardware has
now improved to the point where it is fast enough. Software too.
I cannot recall anyone in the past five years or so, when we've
installed new servers or storage arrays from a variety of suppliers,
for different customers, asking how caches or stripe sizes or
anything else should be tuned for particular applications: the defaults
are good enough for most people, most of the time.

From: hume.spamfilter on
hama08 <hama08.2009(a)ma.yer.at> wrote:
> it seems that comp.unix.solaris is dead ?
> 10 or 15 years ago, there were sometimes more than 100 new articles
> per day.

That was 10-15 years ago, in Usenet's heyday. I would say it's more likely
that Usenet itself is drying up than any one specific group. And I say this
as a Usenet server administrator who has been watching my daily article
counts drop drastically over just the past couple of months.

> where is the discussion now ?

Most likely on the Sun/Oracle Solaris forums and on opensolaris.org.

--
Brandon Hume - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/