From: David Harkness on
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Daniel Brown <danbrown(a)php.net> wrote:

> You'll still see short_open_tags,

That's good to hear. Not that we're in any rush to jump into PHP6 given that
we're only just now *close* to deploying 5.3.

> but you'll no
> longer have ASP-style tags or the little-known <script language="PHP">
> options available.

Heh, that's funny since that old slideshow said that <script language="PHP">
would always be an option. I've never seen it myself so I'm not too worried.
;)

David
From: "Daevid Vincent" on
I use them ALL the time. MUCH cleaner IMHO than the alternatives.

And *IF* someday it is ever depricated, it's trival to:

s/<?=/<? echo/g

Don't let 'em scare ya!

From: "Daniel P. Brown" on
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 20:53, Daevid Vincent <daevid(a)daevid.com> wrote:
> I use them ALL the time. MUCH cleaner IMHO than the alternatives.
>
> And *IF* someday it is ever depricated, it's trival to:
>
>         s/<?=/<? echo/g

Right. Because if we do away with short_open_tags, the fix is to
replace them all with short_open_tags. ;-P

P.S. - You may want to sed your vim. ;-P

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
daniel.brown(a)parasane.net || danbrown(a)php.net
From: Floyd Resler on

On Jun 10, 2010, at 8:53 PM, Daevid Vincent wrote:

> I use them ALL the time. MUCH cleaner IMHO than the alternatives.
>
> And *IF* someday it is ever depricated, it's trival to:
>
> s/<?=/<? echo/g
>
> Don't let 'em scare ya!

I have to agree that <?= is much cleaner and I use them all the time
as well.

Take care,
Floyd

From: "Daevid Vincent" on

Can you elaborate on this Ashley?

I use short tags and I output XML all the time. In fact I'm knee deep in
building an API right now for Panasonic Avionics that is all XML based. We
have hundreds of airplanes hitting the API, sending XML and getting XML
back -- all via LAMP. I'm also simultaneously doing some cURL JSON-RPC
bi-directional communication.

This is the second XML API I've written for enterprise level service. I
have no problems at all.

I call poppycock. This sounds like FUD to me. ;-)

D.