From: tedd on
At 2:19 PM -0700 6/11/10, Daevid Vincent wrote:
>EVERY other tag in an XML document is just straight up "html" :

Just curious -- like html tags:

<hr>

Or do you have to change them to:

<hr />

How does XML handle those tags?

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------
http://sperling.com http://ancientstones.com http://earthstones.com
From: "Ashley M. Kirchner" on
On 6/11/2010 11:40 AM, Daevid Vincent wrote:

> I use short tags and I output XML all the time.

I think there's a difference to note here. You're outputting XML
from PHP, versus files having XML tags in the files ... I ran into a
problem with short tags not too long ago when a client transferred their
website to us. They had every single file starting with:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

When you have short_tags enabled, this causes problems. And
because we have other clients who have applications written using
short_tags, I had to redo all of those XML tags and make them:

<<??>?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

This is why personally I refuse to use short tags - I'd rather type
the whole thing out and not run into trouble later if for some reason I
have to move hosts. None of my new servers have short_tags turned on.
And anyone who asks is being told the same thing: type it out.
From: David Harkness on
On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Ashley M. Kirchner <ashley(a)pcraft.com>wrote:

> They had every single file starting with:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

*PHP* files? I would have flagged that as the problem rather than disabling
short tags.

David
From: "Ashley M. Kirchner" on
On 6/11/2010 4:07 PM, David Harkness wrote:
> *PHP* files? I would have flagged that as the problem rather than
> disabling
> short tags.

Yeah, whoever created their site originally mixed XML/HTML/PHP all
in the same file (all the files were .html but contained xml and php
snippets) so I had to change their specific virtual host and then each
individual file ...

From: Ahmed Mohsen on
On 6/12/2010 12:34 AM, tedd wrote:
> At 2:19 PM -0700 6/11/10, Daevid Vincent wrote:
>> EVERY other tag in an XML document is just straight up "html" :
>
> Just curious -- like html tags:
>
> <hr>
>
> Or do you have to change them to:
>
> <hr />
>
> How does XML handle those tags?
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd

If they have no content, you should use <hr /> tags, otherwise use the
full open and close tags around the content. <title>CONTENT</title>

--
Kind regards,
Ahmed Mohsen.