From: simon on
I understand that, thank you tho.
I have 8080 opened up on my router and traffic via that port is mapped
to my server.
so when i go to my full IP assigned by my ISP:8080 it comes up on the
internet - i only put the 192.x.x.x IP in there for clarity sake, but
i guess it wasn't too clear :D

there are a handful of forum posts on the net saying "i got around
this port issue in VS 2005 by adding a host header and DNS entry".
though no one said what they entererd to do so. since those posts are
a few years old, i was hoping this was an easy task and someone could
just give me the steps to do so.

i'd really appreciate it. thanks

From: simon on
if you have a solution opened to test with, right click the solution
and say "add external website". that website i have a port on (8080).
that is where i run into problems. adding the website to the
solution. even if i started a new solution and had the source on the
server, i'd still need to use the port to get to it and then when i
try to do a build, i get the error message.... not a valid path.

suggestions are appreciated as always. thanks!!

From: Jon Skeet [C# MVP] on
simon <me(a)here.com> wrote:
> if you have a solution opened to test with, right click the solution
> and say "add external website". that website i have a port on (8080).
> that is where i run into problems. adding the website to the
> solution. even if i started a new solution and had the source on the
> server, i'd still need to use the port to get to it and then when i
> try to do a build, i get the error message.... not a valid path.
>
> suggestions are appreciated as always. thanks!!

Ah, so you're not talking about an ASP.NET application? That's normally
what I've been editing in VS2005.

--
Jon Skeet - <skeet(a)pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/jon.skeet
From: simon on
right, it is an asp.net website, it is a known problem with VS2005
that didn't exist in 2003. and there is a "workaround" which is
configuring host headers and such, i just don't know what to set in
the host header section to do this. thanks again..

From: Jon Skeet [C# MVP] on
simon <me(a)here.com> wrote:
> right, it is an asp.net website, it is a known problem with VS2005
> that didn't exist in 2003. and there is a "workaround" which is
> configuring host headers and such, i just don't know what to set in
> the host header section to do this. thanks again..

If it's an ASP.NET site, why do you need to add it as an "external
website"? Why can't you just add it as a normal project?

Ah, the penny's dropping - do you not have access to the site as a -
local file system? I've only ever developed on my local box, which
makes life rather simpler...