From: simon on
hello.
i'm trying to setup a website on my local server
when compiling it VS 2005 i get the error
"is not a valid virtual path"

from what i've read on the net, this is due to the fact that the site
is using IP:Port, which is no longer supported in VS 2005. I have to
use the IP:Port setup 192.168.2.102:8080 as my ISP blocks port 80

this is just a dev site, but i would like to access it externally,
hence the port 8080. I've read that a few people got around this
issue by using host headers. but i have yet to find an example of
how. anything listed out on the internet refer to only using port 80.
was hoping someone could help me with my setup of how to setup my site
to user IP:8080 and point to port 80 as well via host headers so that
the site can be built/compiled in VS 2005.
I assume i then have to make a DNS entry, host file entry or WINS
entry so that the site is accessible via the host header name. any
help with that would be appreciated greatly as well

my server is Win2003 w/ IIS6. and .net 2.0

thanks for any help

From: Jon Skeet [C# MVP] on
simon <me(a)here.com> wrote:
> hello.
> i'm trying to setup a website on my local server
> when compiling it VS 2005 i get the error
> "is not a valid virtual path"
>
> from what i've read on the net, this is due to the fact that the site
> is using IP:Port, which is no longer supported in VS 2005. I have to
> use the IP:Port setup 192.168.2.102:8080 as my ISP blocks port 80
>
> this is just a dev site, but i would like to access it externally,
> hence the port 8080. I've read that a few people got around this
> issue by using host headers. but i have yet to find an example of
> how. anything listed out on the internet refer to only using port 80.
> was hoping someone could help me with my setup of how to setup my site
> to user IP:8080 and point to port 80 as well via host headers so that
> the site can be built/compiled in VS 2005.
> I assume i then have to make a DNS entry, host file entry or WINS
> entry so that the site is accessible via the host header name. any
> help with that would be appreciated greatly as well
>
> my server is Win2003 w/ IIS6. and .net 2.0

I don't really see what this has to do with VS2005 - surely it's just a
matter of telling IIS to run on port 8080 instead of port 80.

--
Jon Skeet - <skeet(a)pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/jon.skeet
From: simon on
On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 19:19:32 -0000, Jon Skeet [C# MVP]
<skeet(a)pobox.com> wrote:

>simon <me(a)here.com> wrote:
>> hello.
>> i'm trying to setup a website on my local server
>> when compiling it VS 2005 i get the error
>> "is not a valid virtual path"
>>
>> from what i've read on the net, this is due to the fact that the site
>> is using IP:Port, which is no longer supported in VS 2005. I have to
>> use the IP:Port setup 192.168.2.102:8080 as my ISP blocks port 80
>>
>> this is just a dev site, but i would like to access it externally,
>> hence the port 8080. I've read that a few people got around this
>> issue by using host headers. but i have yet to find an example of
>> how. anything listed out on the internet refer to only using port 80.
>> was hoping someone could help me with my setup of how to setup my site
>> to user IP:8080 and point to port 80 as well via host headers so that
>> the site can be built/compiled in VS 2005.
>> I assume i then have to make a DNS entry, host file entry or WINS
>> entry so that the site is accessible via the host header name. any
>> help with that would be appreciated greatly as well
>>
>> my server is Win2003 w/ IIS6. and .net 2.0
>
>I don't really see what this has to do with VS2005 - surely it's just a
>matter of telling IIS to run on port 8080 instead of port 80.

apparently you could have a website in a project that used a specific
port number in VS 2003, but that capability was taken away (or it is
a bug) in VS 2005. if you try to build the site, you will get the
error "...is not a valid virtual path" - because the port number is
part of the path, as opposed to using the default port 80 where you
don't need to add the port.

so IIS is working fine for me running on port 8080, but VS can't do a
build of the site because of the port being part of the path.

any help would truly be appreciated!
thanks

From: Jon Skeet [C# MVP] on
simon <me(a)here.com> wrote:
> >I don't really see what this has to do with VS2005 - surely it's just a
> >matter of telling IIS to run on port 8080 instead of port 80.
>
> apparently you could have a website in a project that used a specific
> port number in VS 2003, but that capability was taken away (or it is
> a bug) in VS 2005. if you try to build the site, you will get the
> error "...is not a valid virtual path" - because the port number is
> part of the path, as opposed to using the default port 80 where you
> don't need to add the port.
>
> so IIS is working fine for me running on port 8080, but VS can't do a
> build of the site because of the port being part of the path.

Perhaps you're using web projects in a different way to me. In VS2005,
I just build them "in place" and then point IIS at the directory as a
virtual directory. The port doesn't need to be in the path at all.

From: Jeff Dillon on
The IP 192.168.2.102 is a local IP, and not visible to the world. You should
get a regular ISP, and not your cable/phone provider. Some are even free

Jeff