From: Hans-Georg Michna on
On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 23:34:24 -0400, David Mark wrote:

>And what do you mean "does not exist?" Do you think the OP imagined the
>error or is making up stories to smear jQuery?

That was certainly not my intention. In fact, I wish I had a
version of jQuery that worked well. I would probably use it for
some performance-uncritical pages.

The failures after the jQuery upgrade took me by surprise.
Although I had seen the warnings here, I believed that I only
used jQuery casually and lightly, without going anywhere near
its limits. It still failed.

To make it entirely clear---I had used jQuery 1.3.2 on a few
pages with good success. After some learning and tuning the
pages worked perfectly. They and jQuery did exactly what I
wanted them to do (although I must say that it was not always
very easy to find out what exactly jQuery would do).

Then I upgraded jQuery to its latest version 1.4.2. Immediately
these pages failed.

Hans-Georg
From: rf on

"Hans-Georg Michna" <hans-georgNoEmailPlease(a)michna.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 20:27:03 -0400, David Mark wrote:

> Unfortunately several of my web sites run on the Content
> Management System Drupal ( http://winhlp.com/ ,
> http://elephanttrust.org/ , http://resaf.org/ , etc.), and
> Drupal itself uses jQuery, so I can't get totally clean.

I have a couple of new clients who have legacy web sites created with Drupal
and the unfortunate jQuery.

In both cases I have been fortunate to be able to convince them that this is
simply not the way to build web sites. I pointed out, and demonstrated, that
jQuery is simply not cross browser. And I pointed out, and demonstrated,
that Drupal is simply not a CMS for the average web site owner. It may be OK
for web site producers, but not for my clients, who expect to be able to
input their own content easily and be in total control of their site, and
know what they are doing. They have both agreed to the re-engineering of
their sites from, almost, the ground up.

A while ago I had a potential client who did not agree with me in the above.
I didn't take the job. His web site still sucks, badly.

From: Gregor Kofler on
Hans-Georg Michna meinte:

> I have not tried to analyze why the new jQuery version crashed
> in this page. Guess it doesn't matter much. My impression is
> that pretty much every non-trivial, JavaScript-rich page that
> uses jQuery does not survive the latest jQuery upgrade.

Recently I had a lengthy discussion with a customer, who wanted to
replace my - perfectly working - custom JS with jQuery due to the "big
community", the "sort of de-facto standard", the "future support". He
was somewhat irritated by my hefty response. Sigh.

Gregor

--
http://www.gregorkofler.com
From: David Mark on
Garrett Smith wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
>> Garrett Smith wrote:
>>>>
>>> It would probably help to provide more details.
>>
>> And who would that help exactly?
>>
> The answer to that question is unknown at this point.

No it isn't. Nobody.

>>> What error message, what
>>> the original code was doing.
>>
>> Why would that matter at this point? As mentioned, the OP came to his
>> senses and dumped jQuery. Problem solved.
>>
>>> It is either your fault or jquery fault or for all anyone knows, the
>>> problem does not exist.
>>
> [anti-jq-propaganda]

Propaganda? Who are you Matt Kruse now? Gee, I don't care if my query
engine can't read documents straight; I don't care about certain
attributes (the ones they got wrong); etc., etc. Going on three years
now. It's a bullshit script, plain and simple. Using such a script on
the Web is *insanity*.

And I left out the most important bit. If the OP hadn't relied on a
complex, ever-shifting, interdependent and incompetently written GP
script, he would not have had to deal with upgrading such a thing. Get it?

>> And what do you mean "does not exist?" Do you think the OP imagined the
>> error or is making up stories to smear jQuery?
> Did I post that? No, I didn't.

You apparently can't interpret your own implications.

> The bug is yet unsubstantiated. See also:
> http://www.jibbering.com/faq/notes/posting/#ps1DontWork

LOL. An exception is an exception.
From: David Mark on
Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 20:27:03 -0400, David Mark wrote:
>
>> Kudos on the sanity, Hans-Georg. If only more people would get the
>> picture (or at least rent it!) :)
>
> Even if I hadn't been warned, I should have begun to wonder why
> all of my jQuery-equipped pages failed after the jQuery upgrade.
> Even the most clueless person would have to wonder.

You'd think. :)

> Next I'll do is search all my web sites for references to jQuery
> and, if I can't find any, remove jQuery itself.

Very good idea.

> Unfortunately several of my web sites run on the Content
> Management System Drupal ( http://winhlp.com/ ,
> http://elephanttrust.org/ , http://resaf.org/ , etc.), and
> Drupal itself uses jQuery, so I can't get totally clean.

That's a shame. You should stop using Drupal if it can't work without
an "assist" from jQuery. I wonder how often _they_ upgrade the thing.

> The jQuery phenomenon needs a little more analysis.

Not really. The work was done back in Fall of 2007. Anyone still using
it has not been paying attention. The "phenomenon", which clearly
reached its apex about a year ago, is due to disingenuous marketing.

> I think it
> is based on the fact that jQuery looks very attractive at first.

Yes, to people who have no clue what they are doing (or what the script
is doing for them).

> When you try it with simple things (and ignore performance and
> other issues), it allows good looking code with its method
> chaining, it appears to work nicely and to save you some coding.

The chaining thing is ill-advised and is not unique to jQuery. Any JS
code can do it easily enough. And if it saves you time coding, it
indicates you haven't spent enough time coding in the first place (i.e.
you should already have code stockpiled to perform the basic tasks that
jQuery attempts to help you with). And, as you have seen, such savings
are fleeting (i.e. you pay them back with interest as soon as either the
browsers or the script changes).

> So many people, including myself once, fall for it all too
> quickly. Its superficial and misleading simplicity is, at first,
> attractive.

Exactly.

> Once jQuery has a significant market share, it is more difficult
> to dislodge, so I guess it will remain a factor for some time to
> come.

It is clearly self-destructing at this point. The "releases" are
getting closer together in frantic efforts to "keep up" with the
ever-increasing "major" browsers (and they are dismissing older browsers
with abandon as well). Pretty soon they'll be trying to rewrite it
daily and only "supporting" browsers that came out yesterday. Those
sorts of symptoms indicate a terminal condition.

> Anyway, it reminds me of something I've been saying for years,
> which I named the Rat Effect. See: http://winhlp.com/node/716

Sounds appropriate. I've often referred to jQuery as a rat in lucite. :)