From: Andrew Poulos on
On 25/07/2010 3:02 PM, David Mark wrote:
> On Jul 24, 11:27 pm, Alan Gutierrez<a...(a)blogometer.com> wrote:
>> Andrew Poulos wrote:
>>> It look like the error
>>> is in jquery. Of course the LMS vendor cannot give me their source code.
>>> So now I'll be caught between an client and a (most likely)
>>> quick-stepping LMS vendor.
>>
>> Is their source code obfuscated? What is the error?
>>

> He already said what the error was and Richard pointed out how to
> track it down (obfuscated or not).

I think I need to retract my assertion that jquery was the cause of the
issue I was experiencing.

Using Charles I see that there's a "500 Internal Server Error" and that
"Failed to parse data (org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Open quote is
expected for attribute..."

So it seems its something in the LMS Vendor's Server???

Andrew Poulos
From: Richard Cornford on
Andrew Poulos wrote:
> On 25/07/2010 3:02 PM, David Mark wrote:
>>>
>>> Is their source code obfuscated? What is the error?
>>
>> He already said what the error was and Richard pointed out
>> how to track it down (obfuscated or not).
>
> I think I need to retract my assertion that jquery was the cause
> of the issue I was experiencing.
>
> Using Charles I see that there's a "500 Internal Server Error"
> and that "Failed to parse data (org.xml.sax.SAXParseException:
> Open quote is expected for attribute..."

Server error responses often have an HTML body, though Charles really
should not be presenting that to an XML parser (which is what SAX is)
unless the response includes a content-type header that says the body is
XML (which would include XHTML, SOAP, etc.).

An attempt to - eval - such a response body is the sort of thing that
may produce a "... is undefined" error, though that is less likely than
it producing a syntax error. And it would be odd for any client-side
software to respond to an HTTP status of 500 by attempting to - eval -
the response body.

Still, Charles offers the response in raw, text, hex, and headers form
in addition to parsed XML so you can see all of the error response.

> So it seems its something in the LMS Vendor's Server???

Assuming that the request parameters were correct, as seeing the LMS
system sending error responses to erroneous requests would not
necessarily represent a fault in the LMS system.

Richard.

From: Alan Gutierrez on
Andrew Poulos wrote:
> On 25/07/2010 3:02 PM, David Mark wrote:
>>>
>>> Is their source code obfuscated? What is the error?
>>>

>> He already said what the error was and Richard pointed out how to
>> track it down (obfuscated or not).
>
> I think I need to retract my assertion that jquery was the cause of the
> issue I was experiencing.
>
> Using Charles I see that there's a "500 Internal Server Error" and that
> "Failed to parse data (org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Open quote is
> expected for attribute..."
>
> So it seems its something in the LMS Vendor's Server???

Firebug is my tool of choice for seeing what's happening behind the
scenes. The "Net" tab shows all of the network communication. If you
were using Firebug, I'd say for certain that this is an error at the LMS
server, since "500 Internal Server Error" and
"org.xml.sax.SAXParseException" sound like they are part of the error
response from the server.

Except, I don't know about "Charles" which is also a Java application,
that could also throw a "org.xml.sax.SAXParseException" but not a "500
Internal Server Error". I don't know what you're looking at exactly, but
I'd suspect that it is a server error, very much.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan(a)blogometer.com - http://twitter.com/bigeasy
From: Andrew Poulos on
On 26/07/2010 10:01 AM, Richard Cornford wrote:
> Andrew Poulos wrote:

>>> He already said what the error was and Richard pointed out
>>> how to track it down (obfuscated or not).
>>
>> I think I need to retract my assertion that jquery was the cause
>> of the issue I was experiencing.
>>
>> Using Charles I see that there's a "500 Internal Server Error"
>> and that "Failed to parse data (org.xml.sax.SAXParseException:
>> Open quote is expected for attribute..."
>
> Server error responses often have an HTML body, though Charles really
> should not be presenting that to an XML parser (which is what SAX is)
> unless the response includes a content-type header that says the body is
> XML (which would include XHTML, SOAP, etc.).
>
> An attempt to - eval - such a response body is the sort of thing that
> may produce a "... is undefined" error, though that is less likely than
> it producing a syntax error. And it would be odd for any client-side
> software to respond to an HTTP status of 500 by attempting to - eval -
> the response body.
>
> Still, Charles offers the response in raw, text, hex, and headers form
> in addition to parsed XML so you can see all of the error response.
>
>> So it seems its something in the LMS Vendor's Server???
>
> Assuming that the request parameters were correct, as seeing the LMS
> system sending error responses to erroneous requests would not
> necessarily represent a fault in the LMS system.

Testing in the ADL test suites confirms that appropriate data in the
appropriate format is being sent at the appropriate time.

With a bit more error checking and I find that a response from the
server contains is

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='ISO-8859-1'?>
<values>
<group>
<lasterror></lasterror>
<returnvalue><![CDATA[]]></returnvalue>
</group>
</values>

and the corresponding error is

Error: not well-formed
Source File: http://www.blah.com.au/Host/scorm1.2server.asp
Line: 1
Column: 26
Source Code: <font face="Arial" size=2>

This error is followed by this error:

Error: xmlDoc.getElementsByTagName("returnvalue")[0] is undefined
Source File:
http://www.blah.com.au/Host/scorm1.2api.asp?loadURL=SCORM_courses/tp/intermediate/index.htm&anchor=
Line: 161

I can see how if the XML was not well formed why the error would occur
but not why the response doesn't appear to me to contain
"<font face="Arial" size=2>"

Andrew Poulos
From: David Mark on
On Jul 25, 9:33 pm, Andrew Poulos <ap_p...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 26/07/2010 10:01 AM, Richard Cornford wrote:
>

> > Andrew Poulos wrote:

> >> I think I need to retract my assertion that jquery was the cause
> >> of the issue I was experiencing.
>
> >> Using Charles I see that there's a "500 Internal Server Error"
> >> and that "Failed to parse data (org.xml.sax.SAXParseException:
> >> Open quote is expected for attribute..."
>
> > Server error responses often have an HTML body, though Charles really
> > should not be presenting that to an XML parser (which is what SAX is)
> > unless the response includes a content-type header that says the body is
> > XML (which would include XHTML, SOAP, etc.).
>
> > An attempt to - eval - such a response body is the sort of thing that
> > may produce a "... is undefined" error, though that is less likely than
> > it producing a syntax error. And it would be odd for any client-side
> > software to respond to an HTTP status of 500 by attempting to - eval -
> > the response body.
>
> > Still, Charles offers the response in raw, text, hex, and headers form
> > in addition to parsed XML so you can see all of the error response.
>
> >> So it seems its something in the LMS Vendor's Server???
>
> > Assuming that the request parameters were correct, as seeing the LMS
> > system sending error responses to erroneous requests would not
> > necessarily represent a fault in the LMS system.
>
> Testing in the ADL test suites confirms that appropriate data in the
> appropriate format is being sent at the appropriate time.

Okay.

> With a bit more error checking and I find that a response from the
> server contains is
>
> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='ISO-8859-1'?>
> <values>
>    <group>
>      <lasterror></lasterror>
>        <returnvalue><![CDATA[]]></returnvalue>
>    </group>
> </values>

Fairly useless blob of XML. :)

> and the corresponding error is
>
> Error: not well-formed
> Source File:http://www.blah.com.au/Host/scorm1.2server.asp
> Line: 1
> Column: 26
> Source Code: <font face="Arial" size=2>

IIS generates that silly opening font tag on canned responses.

> This error is followed by this error:
>
> Error: xmlDoc.getElementsByTagName("returnvalue")[0] is undefined
> Source File:http://www.blah.com.au/Host/scorm1.2api.asp?loadURL=SCORM_courses/tp/...
> Line: 161

Clearly the returned XML has no such element. The client side script
should accomodate that (but doesn't here).

> I can see how if the XML was not well formed why the error would occur
> but not why the response doesn't appear to me to contain
> "<font face="Arial" size=2>"

That's the opening bit of an IIS error page. If I followed your
presentation, it appears that a process is trying to fetch and parse
XML. It blows up because it gets back an IIS error page (complete
with FONT elements) instead of XML. In turn, the failure is described
by a useless bit of XML, which happens to me missing an element that
the caller expects to be there.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: JQuery Ajax
Next: Celexa 10 mg, 5mg Celexa, Celexa acne