From: Bwig Zomberi on
Joe Nine wrote:
> Bwig Zomberi wrote:
>> Joe Nine wrote:
>>> I've seen enough examples of code that's using jQuery on here to know
>>> that I don't want to become a jQuery programmer - it's like it's own new
>>> language with an ugly perl-like syntax. I guess it's one for the
>>> programmers that prefer unix. I'm a windows guy myself and like "classic
>>> syntax" languages. I guess that's why I've never got into complex
>>> regular expressions either.
>>
>> Javascript syntax is based on C or Java if you like.
>
> I know. I imagine everyone here does.
>
>> C was first written for Unix, which was written for the most part in C.
>
> I learned that in class too. I don't see the relevance to anything though.
>
>> jQuery is born ugly. Unix played no part in its birth or parenting.
>
> I doubt anyone thinks it has any relation to unix.

Good to know that you know. Then why imply Unix/Linux users should be
the ones to like jQuery, when those guys would mostly prefer C or C-like
languages. Classic syntax is a mainstay of many Unix-origin languages -
it is not a Windows-only trait. Difficult syntax is not alien to Windows
- Hungarian notation used in VC++ for example.

--
Bwig Zomberi
From: Bwig Zomberi on
Tim Streater wrote:
> In article
> <7313e001-78c8-4b17-aa39-72e5a420eb2c(a)i28g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
> Matt Kruse<matt(a)thekrusefamily.com> wrote:
>
> [stuff]
>
> After all these posts, I'm none the wiser: what is the problem these
> libraries are trying to solve?

A single and smaller codebase for users to implement special effects if
sites like Smashing Magazine are to be believed. The libraries are
expected to do the heavy lifting and fix browser issues.

Libraries also seem to provide shorthand for JavaScript. I never got
tired of using document.getElementById or DOM array parsing. In fact, I
feel safe with it.

--
Bwig Zomberi
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Garrett Smith wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> Garrett Smith wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> * No asynchronous testing features.
>> How do you propose that to be implemented?
>
> wait and waitForCondition can each use setTimeout.
> [...]
> I explained a little recently in MessageID:
> hv3v71$km$1(a)news.eternal-september.org

Thanks.

>> Which alternatives to JsUnit are you recommending?
>
> The most relevant I found at the time I was searching was YUI Test
>
> I've run into too many problems with that. [...]
> In 2007, I found that YUI Test was attractive. The limitations have
> become so burdensome that it is time to move on.

This reads to me as if you are saying that you do not like several aspects
of JsUnit, but you do not know anything that is better. Would it not be a
good idea to help improve JsUnit then?

Please trim your quotes to the relevant minimum.

PointedEars
--
realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Tim Streater wrote:

> Matt Kruse wrote:
>> Tim Streater wrote:
>> > After all these posts, I'm none the wiser: what is the problem these
>> > libraries are trying to solve?
>>
>> The goal of any library/framework/layer/abstraction is to simplify the
>> solution to one problem, so it can be used as a foundation for solving
>> a bigger problem.
>
> [snip]
>
>> JS Libraries, as a way to abstract away the problems with browser
>> scripting, may not be the *best* solution. But it is one solution, and
>> it works very well for many people. I think it's great to argue for
>> different ways to abstract away the problem, and pick the option that
>> is best. But IMO, rejecting the abstraction altogether because of its
>> shortcomings is short-sighted. Web development will move on without
>> these detractors. Libraries will be used and improved, because people
>> don't want to have to deal with the whole nasty, confusing browser
>> scripting layer. They want it solved, at least to a degree that they
>> are comfortable with, and presented in a nicer, easier-to-use form.
>> That's what libraries like jQuery do, and that's why people so
>> overwhelmingly choose to use them.
>
> Mmm, thanks. The concept is clear, I'm not sure whether I buy the
> argument.

Add me. Matt is still not getting that (JS) libraries as a concept are not
the issue, but the people writing them.

If those are clueful, experienced individuals, the library can grow
naturally from practice, evolutional from the general case to the special
one so that one reliable abstraction layer is placed upon another *when
necessary*, and it can become useful for both a single project and several
projects, both for the original authors and other people.

If instead the individual or group of authors are actually clueless
newcomers in the field and/or people with delusions of grandeur, who like to
present themselves as gurus, ninjas, and the like to begin with, the library
they will be writing will end up being bloated, unmaintainable code that
attempts to solve problems that did not need a solution in the first place.
It must fail badly at doing so, and it will create more problems than it
claims to solve. It only takes a few equally unexperienced and naive people
to use it and, from superficial testing, advocate using it to other equally
unexperienced/naive people for it to become a hype, even a cult, then. The
evidence for this can hardly be ignored.

> I've had a brief look at JScript, looks harder than JavaScript to me.

How so? You are involuntarily writing JScript if you are writing
"JavaScript"/"Javascript"/"javascript" for IE/MSHTML, so it can't
be that hard to do.

PointedEars
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <f806at$ail$1$8300dec7(a)news.demon.co.uk>
From: Matt Kruse on
On Jun 18, 7:37 am, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
wrote:
> Matt is still not getting that (JS) libraries as a concept are not
> the issue, but the people writing them.

Umm, that's not at all what the mantra has been in here for years.
Over and over and over it has been said by many that general-purpose
javascript libraries are a bad idea.

My point has always been that general-purpose js libraries are a
_must_, and if the people with the skill to write them correctly don't
do so, then someone else will. And other people have. jQuery has lots
of problems. The coding of it and its design and the way the authors
attack problems are all quite poor. But it fills a need.

Even when someone like DM comes along and writes "His Library", he's
missing the point. He may get the technical aspects more correct, but
he lacks the vision and social grace required to make the library
actually useful to most developers. It's like he's created a better
mousetrap, but completely drops the ball on manufacturing, marketing,
and distribution. Whereas something like jQuery suffers from poor
quality, but gets the other stuff right.

Turn on any infomercial and see how ridiculous the product is, yet see
how many people buy it and how rich the creators are. It doesn't
matter how great of a product you create if you can't get it out to
the masses! And if the masses are creating terrible web sites full of
broken script, and this is the problem that DM is trying to address,
then he's doing it wrong. Even though it seems to drive DM crazy, the
truth is that John Resig is a much better salesman, and his product is
beating the pants of DM's "higher quality" product.

I still believe that the way to combat jQuery and to help fix all the
junk that it has spewed on the web is to create a library with a
compatible subset of the jQuery API, and implement it correctly. Then
people can switch over to it easily and comfortably, and get the
benefit of more robust code.

Matt Kruse