From: Joe Nine on
Matěj Cepl wrote:
> Dne 17.6.2010 09:10, Joe Nine napsal(a):
>> I guess it's one for the programmers that prefer unix.
>
> Please, don't offend us (Linux|Unix) users. I don't see any relation
> between using U*X and distaste for replacing one neatly designed
> functional language with some horrible hack pretending to be one.

Easily offended much?

I'm only pointing out that jQuery takes what is a classic C style syntax
that JavaScript offers and encapsulates it in a cryptic wrapper. When it
comes to cryptic commands you can't dispute that *nix has that going on
at a bash prompt. Seen a complex grep or ls command ? Same applies (as I
mentioned) to regexp commands. I don't like either.
From: David Mark on
On Jun 17, 8:24 am, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
> > I've looked for, but found no unit tests. If I'm going to use something,
> > I want to run tests on it to verify the edge cases.
>
> What's wrong with JsUnit?  <http://www.jsunit.net/>

I believe he is revisiting his "aw U don't have any unit tests" bit.
In other words, he can't find the ones for My Library.
From: David Mark on
On Jun 17, 9:18 am, VK <schools_r...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jun 17, 4:52 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > However, it touches on a core antipattern of Quooxdoo, Cappuccino and
> > SproutCore. It's not a new technique.
>
> > It would be good for the article to do one of
> > 1) focus entirely on one library
> > 2) focus or a problem that is solved and show how libraries solve it,
> > with examples from the library, and then show an alternative.
> > 3) focus on an antipattern
>
> > I'm going to publish an article next week, after it has been reviewed
> > and edited (the draft is being reviewed now). The article will cover
> > some things here, but it is not a formal review, as I have outlined. I'd
> > really like to see that, and if it is a good one, probably even more
> > than the article I'm working on.
>
> The jealousness is great in this NG, so I am afraid it will just
> another vanity fair with "what dork would do like that / what idiot
> would code like this??!". I distinctly remember back in 2005-2006,
> when the 2nd Browser Wars started, this NG was nearly attacked with
> asks to suggests any good library, "please, please, please". The
> locals could use it to push *any* programming pattern they like,
> literally, so now would be getting the harvest back. Instead the
> energy was spend to call sh*t on anyone not willing to write the code
> from the scratch. Eventually such demands stopped, people left: for
> Prototype.js, MooTools, Dojo etc. And what else was it expected? No
> help from clj - no help from anywhere?

It came in 2007.

> For a core library covering coding/DOM trivia the train is pretty much
> gone. It is hard but very important to understand. No one gives a damn
> how perfect, universal, robust, everlasting a commercial use library
> is by design. The only important things are: how long is it on the
> market (2years min), how many listed bugs fixed (lesser that 100 means
> that at least 20-50 really nasty ones will have to be fixed with your
> business loss), how good the support is.
>
> And the last but not least nobody really cares what library is bad and
> why. People normally want to know what library is the most usable /
> the best and why. If the consensus still is that there is not such
> library and the only sane option is to write your own from the scratch
> then it is better to stop the discussion right here so not making
> another fun out of yourselves. To appreciate the deep of the fun at
> the modern time, go say to comp.lang.c++.moderated and declare the
> evilness of any library usage starting with STL.
>
> P.S. What about The Javascript Toolboxhttp://www.javascripttoolbox.com/
> by Matt Kruse as a positive starting point?

Starting point?! Did you miss My Library entirely?
From: Matt Kruse on
On Jun 17, 8:18 am, VK <schools_r...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> P.S. What about The Javascript Toolboxhttp://www.javascripttoolbox.com/
> by Matt Kruse as a positive starting point?

Eh, some of the stuff there is terribly out-dated and I would write it
very differently now. Some of it still quite solid, IMO (like table
sorting and date manipulation).

I wish I had time to build, maintain, improve, document, and test all
the stuff that I'd like to put up there, but I don't. My goal was to
build it into a toolbox that was a collection of stuff from more
authors than just myself, but again, no time.

The js that I'm currently working with most is http://BetterFacebook.net,
which is a greasemonkey script/firefox add-on (which also works in
Chrome, Safari, and Opera, I've heard) that adds a bunch of
functionality to Facebook. It's a whole different kind of challenge,
and it's refreshing to not have to deal with IE at all. :)

Perhaps some day I will get back to my toolbox...

Matt Kruse
From: Matt Kruse on
On Jun 16, 7:52 pm, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm going to publish an article next week, after it has been reviewed
> and edited (the draft is being reviewed now). The article will cover
> some things here, but it is not a formal review, as I have outlined. I'd
> really like to see that, and if it is a good one, probably even more
> than the article I'm working on.

I doubt that any of the qualified people in this group are going to
devote time to such a review. I would love to see a simple wiki where
many of us could contribute to building a comprehensive, well-argued
analysis of jQuery. The pros and cons. Kind of a survey of jQuery.

Put it on its own domain, like jQueryReview.com or something, and
you'll get a decent amount of attention, IMO.

The key would be to have a one-page, printable white paper summarizing
the key arguments. This could be easily printed and brought to a
meeting by anyone who is trying to argue against the use of jQuery.
Then the site could dig deeper into the fine print for anyone who is
interested in a really technical analysis.

Of course, my personal take on jQuery is still a bit different than
many of the "zealots" here. I still use jQuery. For the things I use
it for, I am very happy to have it. But I also have a very good
understanding of its weak points, and I know how to avoid them. It is
a tool, like any other. The best developers have many tools in their
arsenal, and know how to pick the right tools to get a job done. There
is no need, IMO, to throw out jQuery completely when it can be a
useful tool in the right situations and in the hands of someone who
knows what they are doing.

Matt Kruse