From: Matt Kruse on
On Jun 17, 4:19 pm, Tim Streater <timstrea...(a)waitrose.com> wrote:
> To me, JavaScript is a simple enough language that I have no
> problems using it.

Perhaps you just haven't been exposed to all the cross-browser issues
yet? There are tons of quirks, bugs, non-standard behaviors, etc that
you must deal with if you write cross-browser scripts for the web,
where just about any browser may be used.

> But then I'm a programmer.

Aren't most of us here? I've been using javascript since the day it
was released to the public. It still frustrates me sometimes. The
browser implementations, at least. Not so much the language itself.

> I've had a brief look at JScript, looks harder than JavaScript to me.

Hmmm, I'm not sure what this statement really means.

Matt Kruse
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Matt Kruse wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> Matt is still not getting that (JS) libraries as a concept are not
>> the issue, but the people writing them.
>
> Umm, that's not at all what the mantra has been in here for years.
> [...]

Yes, it has, and it has been pointed out to you before, even in this thread.
Unfortunately, you have not been paying attention.

HTH

PointedEars
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <f806at$ail$1$8300dec7(a)news.demon.co.uk>
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Matt Kruse wrote:

> Tim Streater wrote:
>> To me, JavaScript is a simple enough language that I have no
>> problems using it.
>
> Perhaps you just haven't been exposed to all the cross-browser issues
> yet? There are tons of quirks, bugs, non-standard behaviors, etc that
> you must deal with if you write cross-browser scripts for the web,
> where just about any browser may be used.

Cross-browser issues have nothing to do with the programming language.

PointedEars
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <cife6q$253$1$8300dec7(a)news.demon.co.uk> (2004)
From: Matt Kruse on
On Jun 18, 9:51 am, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
wrote:
> Matt Kruse wrote:
> > Perhaps you just haven't been exposed to all the cross-browser issues
> > yet? There are tons of quirks, bugs, non-standard behaviors, etc that
> > you must deal with if you write cross-browser scripts for the web,
> > where just about any browser may be used.
> Cross-browser issues have nothing to do with the programming language.

Duh. But the discussion is about general-purpose libraries, whose main
purpose is to smooth over cross-browser issues and add functionality
for web scripting.

Matt Kruse
From: Johannes Baagoe on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn :

> Matt is still not getting that (JS) libraries as a concept are not the
> issue, but the people writing them.

That, exactly, is what bothers me in those discussions : the issue seems
to be *the people* writing those libraries. Technical objections alone
would hardly justify personal smears.

--
Johannes