From: Tim Wescott on
On 06/09/2010 09:35 AM, Rob Gaddi wrote:
> On 6/8/2010 9:05 PM, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>> Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:

>>> fyi, Python is used a lot in mathematics software these days.
>>
>> But its not used much for DSP code. For DSP its usually C, C++
>> or matlab/octave.
>>
>>> Sage uses
>>> Python, Numpy is in Python, as well as SciPy, and many more. Many
>>> people write scientific software in Python.
>>
>> Many people drink too much alcohol and then drive motor vehicles.
>> That still doesn't make it a good idea.
>>
>> Erik
>
> There's no reason not to. It's handy in that it really allows you to
> bang out algorithms quickly rather than getting caught up in
> implementational details. Then if the ultimate target is some
> overpowered Core Duo, you might as well leave it Python (the speed hit's
> not as bad as you think), or if it's not then you rewrite it in C, C++,
> Ada, Forth, assembly, VHDL, etc depending on your target, but at least
> you know that if it doesn't work the error's in the porting, not the
> algorithm.

Which is exactly what you'd say about Scilab, Octave, Matlab, etc.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: claudegps on
[cut]
> Can someone help me, cos I have no idea what's wrong ?

Mmm... a bit too much code there :)
Why not you try to the same computation using... err... octave?... and
check numbers step-by-step to understand where the error is?

I do python, so I could help... do you want to share directly .py
files?
From: HardySpicer on
On Jun 9, 3:18 pm, "Nasser M. Abbasi" <n...(a)12000.org> wrote:
> On 6/8/2010 6:55 PM, HardySpicer wrote:
>
> > On Jun 9, 7:41 am, "grzegorz g."
>
> > Why the Hell Python? Why not use Javascript while you're at it!
>
> fyi, Python is used a lot in mathematics software these days. Sage uses
> Python, Numpy is in Python, as well as SciPy, and many more.  Many
> people write scientific software in Python.
>
> --Nasser

What the hell is Sage and Numpty? Ever heard of Matlab? Far easier.
From: grzegorz g. on
>Jerry,
>
>I did not insult the poster or the fact the he is using Python as his
programming language of choice - "brickbats" is harsh to say the least. I
am, however, keenly aware of the tone of his last message.

>It is okay to be frustrated with a problem you are trying to solve, but
extending it into a public forum where you ask individuals for their time
and their experiences to help is another.

>Michael.

Michael, I also didn't insult anybody and I didn't extend a frustration. I
only reacted on offtop (often agressive, without any arguments)

>[cut]
>> Can someone help me, cos I have no idea what's wrong ?
>

>Mmm... a bit too much code there :)
>Why not you try to the same computation using... err... octave?... and
>check numbers step-by-step to understand where the error is?
>

>I do python, so I could help... do you want to share directly .py
>files?

I apreciate it very much, py file is here (no popups):

http://home.elka.pw.edu.pl/~ggwardys/

thx ! :)

From: Tim Wescott on
On 06/09/2010 12:07 PM, HardySpicer wrote:
> On Jun 9, 3:18 pm, "Nasser M. Abbasi"<n...(a)12000.org> wrote:
>> On 6/8/2010 6:55 PM, HardySpicer wrote:
>>
>>> On Jun 9, 7:41 am, "grzegorz g."
>>
>>> Why the Hell Python? Why not use Javascript while you're at it!
>>
>> fyi, Python is used a lot in mathematics software these days. Sage uses
>> Python, Numpy is in Python, as well as SciPy, and many more. Many
>> people write scientific software in Python.
>>
>> --Nasser
>
> What the hell is Sage and Numpty? Ever heard of Matlab? Far easier.

Until you go to distribute it, and find out that you have to pay enough
to buy a really nice car for each copy of Matlab that you give away.

Matlab is _expensive_. While it delivers considerable value, there are
free alternatives that do as well or better than Matlab. From a
standpoint of how much you gain vs. how much you pay, Matlab is _horrible_.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com