From: Craig Musgrove on
I have this very irritating issue which happens numerous times a day. Very
frustrating.
Copying large files (300-5000mb files) from a local drive to a windows 2003
file server on the same LAN.
During the copy, "sorry for the inconvience pops up".. looking at the details:
Appname explorer.exe
appver 6.0.2900.2100
modname kernel32.dll
modver 5.1.2600.2945
offset 00012a5b
The copy completes but the destination explorer window does not refresh..
obviously this is the component that has failed.
Any ideas as I have been looking for months... about 6 months ago I thought
it was licked as the system ran a live update and this stopped happening ...
for about a month.. then all downhill again.
Craig Musgrove
From: Robert Aldwinckle on
(cross-post added to XP Performance and Maintenance)
"Craig Musgrove" <CraigMusgrove(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have this very irritating issue which happens numerous times a day. Very
> frustrating.
> Copying large files (300-5000mb files) from a local drive to a windows 2003
> file server on the same LAN.
> During the copy, "sorry for the inconvience pops up".. looking at the details:
> Appname explorer.exe
> appver 6.0.2900.2100
> modname kernel32.dll
> modver 5.1.2600.2945
> offset 00012a5b
> The copy completes but the destination explorer window does not refresh..
> obviously this is the component that has failed.

Yes but that may not be what is at fault. Crashes in low level modules
are commonly due to errors made by higher level callers, such as third
party add-ons or malware.

> Any ideas as I have been looking for months... about 6 months ago I thought
> it was licked as the system ran a live update and this stopped happening ...
> for about a month.. then all downhill again.
> Craig Musgrove

You could look at the Stack Back Trace for the crashing thread
(e.g. in drwtsn32.log) to check on the calling modules involved each time.

This particular crash isn't even in IE, so you may get better assistance
diagnosing it in a newsgroup specializing in your OS.

If it is something which occurs predictably or too frequently you could
also try doing some problem isolation troubleshooting. One way to start
would be to use the Manage Add-ons tool, e.g. disable all add-ons
or all add-ons except the ones you really need. If your symptoms change
you can guess that the change had something to do with the changes
you made (e.g. one or more of the add-ons you disabled), etc.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---