From: terryc on
Under the old linux, after you had unloaded the scsi card driver,
connected and powered up the hard disk array/whatever, then reloaded the
modules for the scsi card, if devices were missing, you could then run
MAKEDEV and create them and it all worked.

No such luck with current kernels as it is controlled by udev, so
I can not run MAKEDEV.

what are you supposed to do under the current kernels to get udev to see
that these devices are now connected and it needs to create the devices?

T.I.A.
From: Lusotec on
terryc wrote:
> Under the old linux, after you had unloaded the scsi card driver,
> connected and powered up the hard disk array/whatever, then reloaded the
> modules for the scsi card, if devices were missing, you could then run
> MAKEDEV and create them and it all worked.
>
> No such luck with current kernels as it is controlled by udev, so
> I can not run MAKEDEV.
>
> what are you supposed to do under the current kernels to get udev to see
> that these devices are now connected and it needs to create the devices?

Just load the kernel module for the SCSI card. The device files should be
automatically created by udev.

Regards.

From: terryc on
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:33:07 +0100, Lusotec wrote:

> terryc wrote:
>> Under the old linux, after you had unloaded the scsi card driver,
>> connected and powered up the hard disk array/whatever, then reloaded
>> the modules for the scsi card, if devices were missing, you could then
>> run MAKEDEV and create them and it all worked.
>>
>> No such luck with current kernels as it is controlled by udev, so I can
>> not run MAKEDEV.
>>
>> what are you supposed to do under the current kernels to get udev to
>> see that these devices are now connected and it needs to create the
>> devices?
>
> Just load the kernel module for the SCSI card. The device files should
> be automatically created by udev.

Unfortunately it isn't happening, which is why I am asking.

From: Lusotec on
terryc wrote:
> Lusotec wrote:
>> terryc wrote:
>>> Under the old linux, after you had unloaded the scsi card driver,
>>> connected and powered up the hard disk array/whatever, then reloaded
>>> the modules for the scsi card, if devices were missing, you could then
>>> run MAKEDEV and create them and it all worked.
>>>
>>> No such luck with current kernels as it is controlled by udev, so I can
>>> not run MAKEDEV.
>>>
>>> what are you supposed to do under the current kernels to get udev to
>>> see that these devices are now connected and it needs to create the
>>> devices?
>>
>> Just load the kernel module for the SCSI card. The device files should
>> be automatically created by udev.
>
> Unfortunately it isn't happening, which is why I am asking.

Ok, something is not working then. :)

I need more information to try and help you.

Do the following:

$ modprobe --remove SCSI_MODULE
$ dmesg > /tmp/dmesg.before
$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi > /tmp/scsi.before
$ modprobe SCSI_MODULE
$ dmesg > /tmp/dmesg.after
$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi > /tmp/scsi.after
$ diff /tmp/dmesg.before /tmp/dmesg.after > /tmp/dmesg.diff
$ diff /tmp/scsi.before /tmp/scsi.after > /tmp/scsi.diff

Post here the content of /tmp/dmesg.diff and /tmp/scsi.diff

With these two diffs it will be possible to determine if the module is
actually working and if it finds any drives.

Replace SCSI_MODULE with the name of the kernel SCSI module for your SCSI
card.

Regards.

From: Henrik Carlqvist on
terryc <newsninespam-spam(a)woa.com.au> wrote:
>> Just load the kernel module for the SCSI card. The device files should
>> be automatically created by udev.
>
> Unfortunately it isn't happening, which is why I am asking.

Could it be that your device is using different luns? If so, depending on
how your kernel is configured you might only see the first lun.

regards Henrik
root(a)localhost postmaster(a)localhost