From: Kevin the Drummer on
Could someone please recommend an external drive enclosure for my
Western Digital 1TB SATA drive? I need the enclosure to connect
via USB2 to my computers. I'd like it if that enclosure could
also connect via firewire. For added fun, it'd be nice if the
enclosure could also connect via eSATA, even though I don't think
Linux will support that, YET.

Thank you.

From: Robert Nichols on
On 04/10/2010 03:31 PM, Kevin the Drummer wrote:
> For added fun, it'd be nice if the
> enclosure could also connect via eSATA, even though I don't think
> Linux will support that, YET.

My eSATA drives and I beg to differ. To the OS, there's no difference
between eSATA and internal SATA. Only the cable shielding and the
plugs (eSATA has metal shielding and is spec-ed for 100X as many
insertions) are different. If you want hotplug capability, you do
need to be using the channel in AHCI mode, but that driver has been in
the Linux kernel for quite a few releases now.

From: Kevin the Drummer on
Robert Nichols <SEE_SIGNATURE(a)localhost.localdomain.invalid> wrote:
> On 04/10/2010 03:31 PM, Kevin the Drummer wrote:
> > For added fun, it'd be nice if the
> > enclosure could also connect via eSATA, even though I don't think
> > Linux will support that, YET.
>
> My eSATA drives and I beg to differ. To the OS, there's no difference
> between eSATA and internal SATA. Only the cable shielding and the
> plugs (eSATA has metal shielding and is spec-ed for 100X as many
> insertions) are different. If you want hotplug capability, you do
> need to be using the channel in AHCI mode, but that driver has been in
> the Linux kernel for quite a few releases now.

I'm glad to hear that eSATA works. My information came only from
reading Linux forums and websites while looking for an answer to the
question I posted here.

Thanks...

From: Juan R. de Silva on
On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 15:31:45 -0500, Kevin the Drummer wrote:

> Could someone please recommend an external drive enclosure for my
> Western Digital 1TB SATA drive? I need the enclosure to connect via USB2
> to my computers. I'd like it if that enclosure could also connect via
> firewire. For added fun, it'd be nice if the enclosure could also
> connect via eSATA, even though I don't think Linux will support that,
> YET.
>
> Thank you.

I use this one http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/search?
PHPSESSID=95901d189b5ad8e568a1a9118fe0f6e8&sk=NST-400MX-S2

Yes, it is just USB no eSATA. Look at their website, they do have a
version of it with Firewire support in addition to USB.

The one I use is quite fast for USB, reliable and extremely sturdy. I
think one can step on it and it would survive. :-) The drives are very
easy to install and to remove.

I put into it 2 drives by 1TB each and they never get even warm. I set
them up as software RAID1 and use the thing for weekly backup.

2 only drawbacks:

- Its fan is quite noisy. In fact I sounds like a little jet. :-) Though
it's a low pitch noise and thus not very irritating, especially if not
used on a permanent basis, as in my case.

- On/off power switch is one for both drives. Though in my setting
(RAID1) it is OK.