From: Mike Eggleston on
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Esteban Torres Rodriguez might have said:

> How I can know who is writing a volume of data?
>
> What I want is to have monitored the writer to control sizes. I don't
> have disk quotas.

smbstatus(8)?

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Esteban Torres Rodriguez might have said:
>

>> How I can know who is writing a volume of data?
>>
>> What I want is to have monitored the writer to control sizes. I don't
>> have disk quotas.
>>

> smbstatus(8)?

How?

with smbstatus I can not see who is copying 60GB, for example.

What has happened to me is that someone has been copied and the disc has
no space left and now I can not know who it was.

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Esteban Torres Rodriguez might have said:

> > On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Esteban Torres Rodriguez might have said:
> >

> >> How I can know who is writing a volume of data?
> >>
> >> What I want is to have monitored the writer to control sizes. I don't
> >> have disk quotas.
> >>

> > smbstatus(8)?
> >
> How?
>
> with smbstatus I can not see who is copying 60GB, for example.
>
> What has happened to me is that someone has been copied and the disc has
> no space left and now I can not know who it was.

How about smbstatus(8) combined with lsof(8) on the samba shares?

Mike

> What has happened to me is that someone has been copied and the disc has
> no space left and now I can not know who it was.
you may want to look at the file owner or do you force all incoming
users to a single user-id? other than that if you know the filename,
smbstatus gives you the process and uid that has that file open, with
that and smbstatus you can identify the user and machine the access
comes from.

bernd

I do not understand it very well.
I have a samba server of 100 users online. I have 2 repositories /
opt/data1 and / opt/data2. At 10:00 / opt/data1 had 70GB free and at 11:00
had 2Gb free.

How I can know who wrote that?
Where is written?

May have multiple users, for example.