From: Tony Vella on
I am cross-posting this message to alt.comp.periphs.printers to get as many
opinions as possible.

I have been using an HP C-3135 all-in-one for a couple of years and
considering changing printer. I am rather attracted to the Kodak 5250
all-in-one but would rather get some opinions before making a final
decision. This is for regular home use: letters, memos, occasional photo.
Thanks in advance for all info, f.ex. can I simply install the printer
driver or do I have to install a bunch of Kodak software (like with HP)? I
use CorelDraw Suite XII so I don't need another software program to adjust
photos before printing them.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada -- http://www.amedialuz.ca/

From: Paul on
On 12/6/2009 6:13 PM, Tony Vella wrote:
> I am cross-posting this message to alt.comp.periphs.printers to get as
> many opinions as possible.
>
> I have been using an HP C-3135 all-in-one for a couple of years and
> considering changing printer. I am rather attracted to the Kodak 5250
> all-in-one but would rather get some opinions before making a final
> decision. This is for regular home use: letters, memos, occasional
> photo. Thanks in advance for all info, f.ex. can I simply install the
> printer driver or do I have to install a bunch of Kodak software (like
> with HP)? I use CorelDraw Suite XII so I don't need another software
> program to adjust photos before printing them.
I don't have the 5250 but have the 5300. I like it better than the hp
and cannons i used to use. I does a real good job on everyday printing
and photo's. Also it's a lot cheaper on ink than the others as black is
around $10 and the color is around $15. I don't think you will go wrong
with a kodak printer. You will have to install the sofware that comes
with it.
From: s.mark on
On Dec 31 2009, 3:36 am, Paul <coppe...(a)50centurytel.net> wrote:
> On 12/6/2009 6:13 PM, Tony Vella wrote:> I am cross-posting this message to alt.comp.periphs.printers to get as
> > many opinions as possible.
>
> > I have been using an HP C-3135 all-in-one for a couple of years and
> > considering changing printer. I am rather attracted to the Kodak 5250
> > all-in-one but would rather get some opinions before making a final
> > decision. This is for regular home use: letters, memos, occasional
> > photo. Thanks in advance for all info, f.ex. can I simply install the
> > printer driver or do I have to install a bunch of Kodak software (like
> > with HP)? I use CorelDraw Suite XII so I don't need another software
> > program to adjust photos before printing them.
>
> I don't have the 5250 but have the 5300. I like it better than the hp
> and cannons i used to use. I does a real good job on everyday printing
> and photo's. Also it's a lot cheaper on ink than the others as black is
> around $10 and the color is around $15. I don't think you will go wrong
> with a kodak printer. You will have to install the sofware that comes
> with it.

I have had 2 Kodak 5300s and discontinued using both of them due to
constant printhead issues. That is, the printheads are permanent and
often clogged or I would get error messages and the Printheads had to
be replaced. Now Kodak was very good about sending me new printheads
free of charge, but each time I had to contact support, go through the
repair protocols and then wait for a new printhead to arrive--all the
while doing without the printer. One way Kodak is able to sell the ink
cheaper is that it is basically just an ink tank whereas the HP has
printheads built into the cartridge and you get a new printhead with
each new cartridge. Look online and you will find mant complaints
about problems with kodak printheads. I think Kodak (and Epsom)
printers perform better if they get regular use to prevent printhead
clogs.