From: Steve M on
"George's Pro Sound Co." wrote;
>I made a error this weekend that almos brought down the wrath of lawyers
>and could have been a show stopped, ALWAYS MEASURE your voltage at the
>point of the load connection
> I ASSUMED that all outlets on the genny were going to give me the same
> readings

Rookie mistake.
--
Steve McQ

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"Steve M" <mcsteve1350x(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
> "George's Pro Sound Co." wrote;
>>I made a error this weekend that almos brought down the wrath of lawyers
>>and could have been a show stopped, ALWAYS MEASURE your voltage at the
>>point of the load connection
>> I ASSUMED that all outlets on the genny were going to give me the same
>> readings
>>

> Rookie mistake.
> --
> Steve McQ

exactly, I posted as a warning to never get lazy or make assumptions no
matter what your experiance level
george

From: Steve M on
"PeterD" wrote:
> There are devices that will automatically adjust voltage to a
> specified value, though they can be (a bit) expensive. Basically a
> special transformer that will take (for example) 90 to 130 volts in
> and give a relatively steady 120 volts out.

Such as, the Furman AR 1215. Delivers a stable 120 VAC
with input voltage of 97V to 141V. Retails for about $500USD.
Shuts down if voltage is over or under acceptable range. Avoids mishaps
like the ones describe in this thread.

--
Steve McQ

From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 21/06/2010 00:43, in article
5dudnUA9ju0vBIPRnZ2dnUVZ_uSdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com, "George's Pro Sound Co."
<bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Steve M" <mcsteve1350x(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
>> "George's Pro Sound Co." wrote;
>>> I made a error this weekend that almos brought down the wrath of lawyers
>>> and could have been a show stopped, ALWAYS MEASURE your voltage at the
>>> point of the load connection
>>> I ASSUMED that all outlets on the genny were going to give me the same
>>> readings
>>>

>> Rookie mistake.
>
> exactly, I posted as a warning to never get lazy or make assumptions no
> matter what your experiance level

No meters on the genny itself? Lately all of the gennies that I encounter
come with digital control panels that give you accurate readings of voltage,
amperage and frequency for each of the phases. Or they have analogue volt
meters and amp meters built in.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message
> On 21/06/2010 00:43, in article
> 5dudnUA9ju0vBIPRnZ2dnUVZ_uSdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com, "George's Pro Sound Co."
> <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> "Steve M" <mcsteve1350x(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> "George's Pro Sound Co." wrote;
>>>>

>>> Rookie mistake.
>>
>> exactly, I posted as a warning to never get lazy or make assumptions no
>> matter what your experiance level
>
> No meters on the genny itself?
analog meter, and it read proper, but I never trust those, I meter, I just
made the mistake of thinking any poutput of the genny would represt what the
genny was doing as opposed to having to drill holes in thye proctevie cover
over the lugs to meter the genny there
the genny would shut down if you opened the access to the lugs while in
operation
so it was clear that metering the lugs was not part of the design of these
gennys(2 x 45kw)