From: Pw Ktp on
so if it is showing that if I have it installed how i can force gem
install to work ??

From: Brian Candler on
Pw Ktp wrote:
> the command returns libstdc++5-3.3-dev

apt-get install libstdc++5-3.3-dev

Then try installing the gem again.

From: Pw Ktp on
Brian Candler wrote:
> Pw Ktp wrote:
>> the command returns libstdc++5-3.3-dev
>
> apt-get install libstdc++5-3.3-dev
>
> Then try installing the gem again.

i tried this, and and it unpacked and installed the above.

however i still get the same error - saying i dont have libstdc++
installed.

thanks for help btw -this is really bothering me - i dont know what next
to try.

From: Brian Candler on
Pw Ktp wrote:
> so if it is showing that if I have it installed how i can force gem
> install to work ??

apt-cache shows what packages are available.

If you have it installed, then there is some other problem. Post your
mkmf.log which will show the actual compiler error.

This will probably be somewhere under

/var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/derailed-rhouse-*/ext/

From: Brian Candler on
Brian Candler wrote:
> apt-cache shows what packages are available.

That is, available to be installed.

dpkg-query -l | grep stdc

will show you if you have it installed.