From: Pw Ktp on
when trying to install a gem i am getting a 'libstdc++' not installed
but when i check i have libstdc++6 and libstdc++5 in a ubuntu 7.10
install.

any additional commands i can use to point these libraries?

please HELP!

From: Brian Candler on
Pw Ktp wrote:
> when trying to install a gem i am getting a 'libstdc++' not installed
> but when i check i have libstdc++6 and libstdc++5 in a ubuntu 7.10
> install.

Please post the gem install command and the *exact* response you get
back from it (using copy-paste).

From: Pw Ktp on
Brian Candler wrote:
> Pw Ktp wrote:
>> when trying to install a gem i am getting a 'libstdc++' not installed
>> but when i check i have libstdc++6 and libstdc++5 in a ubuntu 7.10
>> install.
>
> Please post the gem install command and the *exact* response you get
> back from it (using copy-paste).

here

:/$ sudo gem install derailed-rhouse

ERROR: Error installing derailed-rhouse:

/usr/bin/ruby1.8 extconf.rb
checking for main() in -lstdc++... no
You must have libstdc++ installed.
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
--with-opt-dir
--without-opt-dir
--with-opt-include
--without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
--with-opt-lib
--without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
--with-make-prog
--without-make-prog
--srcdir=.
--curdir
--ruby=/usr/bin/ruby1.8
--with-stdc++lib
--without-stdc++lib

Gem files will remain installed in
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/id3lib-ruby-0.5.0 for inspection.
Results logged to
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/id3lib-ruby-0.5.0/ext/gem_make.out
linuxmce(a)dcerouter:/$

thanks

From: Brian Candler on
OK, probably missing headers as Daniel said. Try:

apt-cache search stdc++ | grep dev

On my 10.04 box I have libstdc++6-4.4-dev, but it may be different for
you.

Note that Ubuntu 7.10 went end-of-life in April 2009, so you really need
to upgrade that box. You won't be getting any critical security updates.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

A single upgrade to 8.04 will get you support until April next year, and
from there you can upgrade directly to 10.04.

Regards,

Brian.

From: Pw Ktp on
Brian Candler wrote:
> OK, probably missing headers as Daniel said. Try:
>
> apt-cache search stdc++ | grep dev
>
> On my 10.04 box I have libstdc++6-4.4-dev, but it may be different for
> you.
>
> Note that Ubuntu 7.10 went end-of-life in April 2009, so you really need
> to upgrade that box. You won't be getting any critical security updates.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
>
> A single upgrade to 8.04 will get you support until April next year, and
> from there you can upgrade directly to 10.04.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian.

thanks i will try it - am using 7.10 as it was the last stable release
for LinuxMCE.

the command returns libstdc++5-3.3-dev