From: Phil Hobbs on
David Eather wrote:
> On 29/07/2010 3:27 PM, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>> Grant wrote:

>>> You could place a resistor in parallel with the 5k pot to bring it
>>> down to 2.7k too. Always more than one solution.
>>> The 120 Ohm set resistor has the advantage of soaking up the bias
>>> current from the regulator. You can up that, provided you have a
>>> minimum load for regulation. Add an output LED or something to eat the
>>> bias or quiescent current.
>>>
>>> Grant.
>>
>> If you add an op amp, you can make the resistances anything convenient.
>> Alternatively, if you don't mind a bit of nonlinearity, you can load
>> down the pot with a 5.90k resistor in parallel. Or, of course, use a 2k
>> pot and an 86.6 ohm resistor from output to feedback.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>>

> A serious question. You didn't suggest changing R1. Is there a
> consideration I am missing?

R1 is from output to feedback--change it to 86.6 ohms and use a 2k pot.
It'll waste a bit more power, but it'll give you the right range.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
From: Grant on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 17:32:50 -0700 (PDT), kevin93 <kevin(a)whitedigs.com> wrote:

>On Jul 28, 7:26 pm, Scott <smba...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> The typical LM338 power supply circuit in the application notes uses a
>> fixed 120 ohm resistor and a variable 2k pot. The LM338 resistance
>> formula is Vout = 1.25 * (1+ R2/R1). With R2 as 2k and R1 as 120 ohms,
>> this yields an adjustment range from 1.2 to 22 volts. I'm building a
>> power supply and want to increase my range to around 30V or so.
>>
>> To get the full range I would need a 2.7k pot. Unfortunately, all I
>> have on hand are 2k and 5k. Using a 5k pot means the voltage will be
>> maxxed out somewhere just over half the range of the pot.
>>
>> So, what I'm wondering is what happens if we substitute a larger
>> resistor for R1. a 5K pot with a 220 ohm resistor would be just about
>> right. I've read the datasheet, but I haven't quite figured out what
>> effect this would have. I've seen some web articles that mention using
>> resistors as high as 240 ohms, but they aren't specific about what
>> side effect this may have.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scott
>
>This approach has the disadvantage that as you rotate the pot you they
>will often have momentary disconnects that will result in the max
>voltage (>30V in your case) at the output.

You could put a cap from adj to ground to mask that? I've not
noticed the open wiper effect, but I'm usually running fixed
divider or a restricted, say 5 or 10%, adjustment range.

>It is much better to have an arrangement where the wiper is not
>carrying significant current and where any disconnects will cause the
>output to fall to a low voltage.
>
>I would do it with the pot being used as a divider from a reference
>and feeding the non-inv input of an opamp whose output feeds the LM338
>adj pin.
>
>Feedback from the output to the inv input of the opamp through a fixed
>divider will give the appropriate voltage range (together with a
>compensation capacitor). The LM338 will then act as a protected
>output stage (overcurrent and thermal protection). A high value
>resistor and a medium value cap from the non-inv opamp input will
>ensure that any disconnects as the pot rotates will not cause any
>disturbances at the output and if they do occur they will be in a safe
>direction.
>
>kevin

Add a small negative supply and you get adjustment down to 0V too.

Grant.