From: Scott on
The typical LM338 power supply circuit in the application notes uses a
fixed 120 ohm resistor and a variable 2k pot. The LM338 resistance
formula is Vout = 1.25 * (1+ R2/R1). With R2 as 2k and R1 as 120 ohms,
this yields an adjustment range from 1.2 to 22 volts. I'm building a
power supply and want to increase my range to around 30V or so.

To get the full range I would need a 2.7k pot. Unfortunately, all I
have on hand are 2k and 5k. Using a 5k pot means the voltage will be
maxxed out somewhere just over half the range of the pot.

So, what I'm wondering is what happens if we substitute a larger
resistor for R1. a 5K pot with a 220 ohm resistor would be just about
right. I've read the datasheet, but I haven't quite figured out what
effect this would have. I've seen some web articles that mention using
resistors as high as 240 ohms, but they aren't specific about what
side effect this may have.

Thanks,
Scott
From: Grant on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 19:26:10 -0700 (PDT), Scott <smbaker(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>The typical LM338 power supply circuit in the application notes uses a
>fixed 120 ohm resistor and a variable 2k pot. The LM338 resistance
>formula is Vout = 1.25 * (1+ R2/R1). With R2 as 2k and R1 as 120 ohms,
>this yields an adjustment range from 1.2 to 22 volts. I'm building a
>power supply and want to increase my range to around 30V or so.
>
>To get the full range I would need a 2.7k pot. Unfortunately, all I
>have on hand are 2k and 5k. Using a 5k pot means the voltage will be
>maxxed out somewhere just over half the range of the pot.
>
>So, what I'm wondering is what happens if we substitute a larger
>resistor for R1. a 5K pot with a 220 ohm resistor would be just about
>right. I've read the datasheet, but I haven't quite figured out what
>effect this would have. I've seen some web articles that mention using
>resistors as high as 240 ohms, but they aren't specific about what
>side effect this may have.

You could place a resistor in parallel with the 5k pot to bring it
down to 2.7k too. Always more than one solution.

The 120 Ohm set resistor has the advantage of soaking up the bias
current from the regulator. You can up that, provided you have a
minimum load for regulation. Add an output LED or something to
eat the bias or quiescent current.

Grant.

From: Scott on
> You could place a resistor in parallel with the 5k pot to bring it
> down to 2.7k too.  Always more than one solution.

I thought about that, but I ran the numbers through a parallel
resistance calculator, and it looks like it messed up the linearity of
the pot. Possibly not bad enough to make it unusable for a power
supply, so that may be an option.

Thanks for the tip on the LED; that might just do it.

From: Phil Hobbs on
Grant wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 19:26:10 -0700 (PDT), Scott <smbaker(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The typical LM338 power supply circuit in the application notes uses a
>> fixed 120 ohm resistor and a variable 2k pot. The LM338 resistance
>> formula is Vout = 1.25 * (1+ R2/R1). With R2 as 2k and R1 as 120 ohms,
>> this yields an adjustment range from 1.2 to 22 volts. I'm building a
>> power supply and want to increase my range to around 30V or so.
>>
>> To get the full range I would need a 2.7k pot. Unfortunately, all I
>> have on hand are 2k and 5k. Using a 5k pot means the voltage will be
>> maxxed out somewhere just over half the range of the pot.
>>
>> So, what I'm wondering is what happens if we substitute a larger
>> resistor for R1. a 5K pot with a 220 ohm resistor would be just about
>> right. I've read the datasheet, but I haven't quite figured out what
>> effect this would have. I've seen some web articles that mention using
>> resistors as high as 240 ohms, but they aren't specific about what
>> side effect this may have.
>
> You could place a resistor in parallel with the 5k pot to bring it
> down to 2.7k too. Always more than one solution.
>
> The 120 Ohm set resistor has the advantage of soaking up the bias
> current from the regulator. You can up that, provided you have a
> minimum load for regulation. Add an output LED or something to
> eat the bias or quiescent current.
>
> Grant.
>> Thanks,
>> Scott

If you add an op amp, you can make the resistances anything convenient.
Alternatively, if you don't mind a bit of nonlinearity, you can load
down the pot with a 5.90k resistor in parallel. Or, of course, use a
2k pot and an 86.6 ohm resistor from output to feedback.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
From: Grant on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 01:27:32 -0400, Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless(a)electrooptical.net> wrote:

>Grant wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 19:26:10 -0700 (PDT), Scott <smbaker(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The typical LM338 power supply circuit in the application notes uses a
>>> fixed 120 ohm resistor and a variable 2k pot. The LM338 resistance
>>> formula is Vout = 1.25 * (1+ R2/R1). With R2 as 2k and R1 as 120 ohms,
>>> this yields an adjustment range from 1.2 to 22 volts. I'm building a
>>> power supply and want to increase my range to around 30V or so.
>>>
>>> To get the full range I would need a 2.7k pot. Unfortunately, all I
>>> have on hand are 2k and 5k. Using a 5k pot means the voltage will be
>>> maxxed out somewhere just over half the range of the pot.
>>>
>>> So, what I'm wondering is what happens if we substitute a larger
>>> resistor for R1. a 5K pot with a 220 ohm resistor would be just about
>>> right. I've read the datasheet, but I haven't quite figured out what
>>> effect this would have. I've seen some web articles that mention using
>>> resistors as high as 240 ohms, but they aren't specific about what
>>> side effect this may have.
>>
>> You could place a resistor in parallel with the 5k pot to bring it
>> down to 2.7k too. Always more than one solution.
>>
>> The 120 Ohm set resistor has the advantage of soaking up the bias
>> current from the regulator. You can up that, provided you have a
>> minimum load for regulation. Add an output LED or something to
>> eat the bias or quiescent current.
>>
>> Grant.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Scott
>
>If you add an op amp, you can make the resistances anything convenient.
> Alternatively, if you don't mind a bit of nonlinearity, you can load
>down the pot with a 5.90k resistor in parallel. Or, of course, use a
>2k pot and an 86.6 ohm resistor from output to feedback.

Or 91 + 1800 in E24 series :)

Grant.