From: me on
just signed up and have a novice kind of question, sorry :)

I'm reading the docs but somehow can not get the hang of a config,
for a local domain(canonical/mydestination) that recipients list would
be looked up
in ldap

postmap queries my ldap, returns no errors, but
cannot get whole thing(postfix) to actually work, either errors about:
unknown user, or status is 'sent/delivered' but nothing in inbox

I know that easier would be to make it virtual, this works, but..

- how to configure postfix to lookup up into ldap for local recipients?
- and if yes is it possible to keep mailboxes under one folder, like for
vmail?

the whole idea is to have these local recipients' mailboxes behaving
like virtual, no shell accounts
(on a box here postfix runs coupled with dovecot and dovecot does local
delivery)

regards

From: Jerry on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 13:13:36 +0000, me <me(a)lejeczek.pl> articulated:

> just signed up and have a novice kind of question, sorry :)
>
> I'm reading the docs but somehow can not get the hang of a config,
> for a local domain(canonical/mydestination) that recipients list
> would be looked up
> in ldap
>
> postmap queries my ldap, returns no errors, but
> cannot get whole thing(postfix) to actually work, either errors about:
> unknown user, or status is 'sent/delivered' but nothing in inbox
>
> I know that easier would be to make it virtual, this works, but..
>
> - how to configure postfix to lookup up into ldap for local
> recipients?
> - and if yes is it possible to keep mailboxes under one folder, like
> for vmail?
>
> the whole idea is to have these local recipients' mailboxes behaving
> like virtual, no shell accounts
> (on a box here postfix runs coupled with dovecot and dovecot does
> local delivery)

You missed the instructions for reporting a problem on this mailing
list. They were sent to you in the mailing list welcome message.

Also check out: http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html

I would recommend that you download 'postfinger' and post its output
here. http://ftp.wl0.org/SOURCES/postfinger

--
Jerry
postfix.user(a)yahoo.com

You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.

From: Victor Duchovni on

http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html
http://www.postfix.org/DATABASE_README.html
http://www.postfix.org/ldap_table.5.html

> - how to configure postfix to lookup up into ldap for local recipients?

"Local recipients" are *by definition* shell accounts, in that information
about them is obtained via getpwnam(3) (/etc/passwd and nsswitch.conf).

This said, you can use "mailbox_transport" and/or "mailbox_transport_maps"
to deliver email to local addresses that may lack an account. See
the local(8) manpage for details.

> the whole idea is to have these local recipients' mailboxes behaving like
> virtual, no shell accounts
> (on a box here postfix runs coupled with dovecot and dovecot does local
> delivery)

You still need a way to validate such accounts, at which point why bother
adding the domain to mydestination and calling it "local"? You can just
virtual_mailbox_domains much more easily in most cases.

--
Viktor.