From: Paul on
> I set the db to automatically boot users off that
> do no actually work with the db for 60min and also the method you are
> using.

I've found several references on the Web for code that does that. Did you
obtain one of those in the public domain, in which case can you recommend
one, or did you write it yourself?

> I suspect your issue may pertain to a specific pc or 2. Have been able to
> identify which user(s) are retaining a lock on the mdb?
> Is it always the
> same pc(s)?

No, but that sounds like a good ided for something I should do. One
challenge I see to that is that while the ldb file shows everyone who logs
on during a session, it doesn't seem to remove their entry when they log
off. So I end up with 20-30 users shown in each ldb file. I've been
thinking of adding a table to keep track of who logs on and off and when
they do it, so I'll be able to tell who is still on at any time.

> Are they up-to-date with both windows and office updates?

Presumably, but it's hard to tell if there are exceptions.

> When you say that the ldb remains, is it actually in use or was a
> connection improperly closed?

I don't know how to determine that.

> Can you manually delete the ldb file? Or does
> the system stop you from deleting it because there is still and active
> connection?

It won't let me delete it.

> Hope this helps,

It does. You've given me some new avenues to pursue.

Thanks, Daniel.

From: Douglas J. Steele on
Well, it all depends on whether something's actually being written at the
time of reboot.

From Paul's description, it sounds as though that may not be the case.

However, you're right that I should have advised caution.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Daniel Pineault" <DanielPineault(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:188AF766-F418-453C-B6FF-DB0580C0C289(a)microsoft.com...

From: David W. Fenton on
"Paul" <BegoneSpam(a)forever.com> wrote in

>> When you say that the ldb remains, is it actually in use or was a
>> connection improperly closed?
>
> I don't know how to determine that.

On the server, in the Control Panel, go to Administrative Tools and
open the Computer Management control panel. Under SHARED FOLDERS
click on OPEN FILES. That will show you what files are open and who
has them open (though if multiple users have the same file open, I'm
not sure if it's listed multiple times or if the last user is the
only one listed as having it open).

I would suggest that you might want to check if Access is closing
down successfully on all PCs. I just picked up a new client who has
one workstation where when you close Access the MSACCESS.EXE
executable continues running and has to be force closed in Task
Manager. If that's the case on any of the PCs in your situation,
that would mean that the lock on the LDB file might not be closed.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: David W. Fenton on
"Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele(a)NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote in

> The simplest way is to reboot the server. That will force the
> handle on the database to be released.

Rebooting a server is not a SIMPLE solution.

The simplest way to release a file handle is to force close it by
going into the computer management control panel and in Shares,
finding the open file handle and forcing it closed.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: David W. Fenton on
=?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVsIFBpbmVhdWx0?=
<DanielPineault(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> What happens if you reboot while there is a live connection? Will
> this possibly risk the integrety of the data?

Yes, indeed it can. And it's inconvenient.

Before rebooting, force close the open file(s) through Computer
Management, as I've explained in two other posts.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last