From: --CELKO-- on
>> But this is getting very serious now; its confusing the hell out of people just wanting to use what is in the product and don't care about portability. <<

A programmer would have be in a very small isolated environment to
deal with one and only one SQL product. DB2 and Oracle are the big
two; MySQL and LAMP rules the web; Teradata dominates data
warehousing; some really good SQLs have niches. Tony, you will not
fall off the edge of the World when you leave your village.

Like most Cowboy Coders, you think that portability is only across SQL
products; it is across releases of the same product. The Pros that
wrote to Standards were not screwed changes that brought SQL Server in
that direction.

If you want to have a specialization in a dialect, that is fine. Good
tool. I use my math for BI. But a cowboy will try to lock his client
into dialect for HIS job security and not the long-term good of the
client. A professional SQL programmer ought to know the difference and
be able to justify and document his choices when he picks dialect over
standards.

Much of my work is to make SQL portable. I work for companies that
need to run on multiple hardware and software platforms. They are
growing. Your work seems to be keeping your clients away from the
version of SQL Server the you know.

The professional also ought to have a theoretical model (what I call a
mindset) so he has a higher abstraction of the problems and the
solutions.

From: Tony Rogerson on
Ok then - put a disclaimer at the bottom of all your posts that it relates
entirely to the ISO SQL standard and remember to note which incarnation of
it - ANSI 89, 92, 2003 etc

Perhaps then you'll stop posting drivel that doesn't even work on this
product like YYYY-MM-DD, like the way the internals of this product work
(one pass compile etc..) etc....

Don't worry --CKELO-- I've got 5 years DB2, ok - 3 months Oracle, and I'll
be learning Teradata on the masters degree in BI that I'm starting in
January - hardly a one trick pony!

I'm fully aware of what's what give my 23+ experience within IT, at the coal
face rather than in some 4 walled classroom turning hearsay into fact.

Portability died a long time ago - its not that often you come across
anybody who cares about it, heard of it and much less actually doing a
project with that as a deliverable - remember, I'm working day in, day out
with multiple clients and also have my source from the user group I run - a
user group of a good few thousand people here in the UK - so I know what is
what; but do you? I suspect not; but you'll only know that yourself ;).

--ROGGIE--

From: Erland Sommarskog on
--CELKO-- (jcelko212(a)earthlink.net) writes:
> A programmer would have be in a very small isolated environment to
> deal with one and only one SQL product.

The system I work is by means nowhere close to small. And in runs on
SQL Server only.

The size of the system may be different for other SQL programmers, but
most programmers only work with one product at a time. And to be able
to get the best performance out of their system, they need to know the
product they work with.

Sure, sometimes people cross borders. We had a guy that joined our team
that had a long experience of Oracle. A brave step, but there was no
happy ending. He was mainly grumpy and whined about SQL Server not doing
things he was used to, and he left after two years.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: TheSQLGuru on
No, you did not say that cursors are not the preferred way. You said "SQL
has no loops. SQL has no sequential data access."

That is a patently wrong statement whether we are talking TSQL or your
beloved ANSI SQL.

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.