From: Erland Sommarskog on
led (l.r.m.d(a)sapo.pt) writes:
> i have availibility calendar that have rows with
> startdate and end date:
>
> select startdate,enddate where cod_casa="record from the first select"
> and livre=0
>
> it is possible to loop between startdate to enddate?

Well, you don't really loop in SQL. But say that you have an orders
table, and you want show the numbers of orders as defined by a
calender table. That is, you only want to show data for the days
in that table. Then you would do:

SELECT C.OrderDate, COUNT(O.OrderDate)
FROM Calender C
LEFT JOIN Order O ON C.Date = O.OrderDate
GROUP BY C.OrderDate

I can't give an example for you procedure, because I don't really see
how your available calender fits into your query, but hopefully this
helps you to get going.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: --CELKO-- on
SQL has no loops. SQL has no sequential data access. It is a
declarative language that works with completed sets of rows, not
records from sequential files.

If you don't know anything about RDBMS, then get a copy of the
simplest intro book I know --
http://www.amazon.com/Manga-Guide-Databases-Mana-Takahashi/dp/1593271905

From: TheSQLGuru on
Actually you are incorrect. TSQL provides several ways to do loops and
sequential data access.

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.

From: Tony Rogerson on
--CLEKO--

You appear to be posting on the wrong forum.

SQL Server does have loops, it does have sequential access, it has xml, it
has unstructured search, it has mdx, it has dmx, it has .... well, a ton of
other stuff.

If you don't know anything about SQL Server (remember - this forum is for
users of SQL Server) then check out books online which can be easily found
on the internet.

--ROGGIE--

From: Erland Sommarskog on

The other day you said:

> There is a WHILE loop in T-SQL last time I looked. Does the T-SQL
> compiler remove invariant expressions in the WHILE loop? Does the T-SQL
> compiler unroll a WHILE loop (granted that is easier with a counting
> loop)?

While there are no loops in SQL, you still care about whether SQL Server
unrolls them!

Links for SQL Server Books Online: