From: CT on
I do believe this is a relatively simple issue to solve. but
haven't found it yet..

*my-relay* = internal relay
*master-relay* = internal and external relay

Setup
Sending host => *my-relay* => *master-relay*

relayhost = master-relay

Looping issue..
When the *master-relay* sends *my-relay* a bounced message *my-relay*
sees the destination and then sends it back to the *master-relay*.

I want my-relay to "receive" *all* email from the *master-relay*
and dump it into the Postmaster (alias) mailbox instead of sending it
*back* to the *master relay*..

What would be the best way to do this.?

here is the postfinger output..
-- postfinger output --

mail_version = 2.5.1
hostname = mailhost.sub-dom.TLD.DOM
uname = Linux mailhost.sub-dom.TLD.DOM 2.6.18-164.15.1.el5 #1 SMP Wed
Mar 17 11:37:14 EDT 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

--Packaging information--
looks like this postfix comes from RPM package: postfix-2.5.1-1.rhel5

--main.cf non-default parameters--
alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
html_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.5.1-documentation/html
mailbox_command = /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
mime_header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/mime_header_checks.regexp
mydestination = $myhostname, $mydomain
mynetworks = ppp.pp.0.0/16, DDD.DD.0.0/16
myorigin = $mydomain
*notify_classes = resource, software, bounce, 2bounce*
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.5.1-documentation/readme
relay_domains = sub-dom.TLD.DOM, TLD.DOM, TLD2.DOM, TLD3.DOM,
sub-dom-2.TLD.DOM
relayhost = [*master-relay*]
smtpd_data_restrictions = reject_unauth_pipelining,permit_mynetworks

--master.cf--
smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
pickup fifo n - n 60 1 pickup
cleanup unix n - n - 0 cleanup
qmgr fifo n - n 300 1 qmgr
tlsmgr unix - - n 1000? 1 tlsmgr
rewrite unix - - n - - trivial-rewrite
bounce unix - - n - 0 bounce
defer unix - - n - 0 bounce
trace unix - - n - 0 bounce
verify unix - - n - 1 verify
flush unix n - n 1000? 0 flush
proxymap unix - - n - - proxymap
proxywrite unix - - n - 1 proxymap
smtp unix - - n - - smtp
relay unix - - n - - smtp
-o smtp_fallback_relay=
showq unix n - n - - showq
error unix - - n - - error
retry unix - - n - - error
discard unix - - n - - discard
local unix - n n - - local
virtual unix - n n - - virtual
lmtp unix - - n - - lmtp
anvil unix - - n - 1 anvil
scache unix - - n - 1 scache

-- end of postfinger output --

From: /dev/rob0 on
On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 07:37:00AM -0500, CT wrote:
> I do believe this is a relatively simple issue to solve. but
> haven't found it yet..
>
> *my-relay* = internal relay
> *master-relay* = internal and external relay
>
> Setup
> Sending host => *my-relay* => *master-relay*
>
> relayhost = master-relay
>
> Looping issue..
> When the *master-relay* sends *my-relay* a bounced message *my-relay*
> sees the destination and then sends it back to the *master-relay*.
>
> I want my-relay to "receive" *all* email from the *master-relay*
> and dump it into the Postmaster (alias) mailbox instead of sending it
> *back* to the *master relay*..
>
> What would be the best way to do this.?

I think it is simple too. Solve it outside of Postfix, in the MUA
and/or mail-sending software. Set the sender domain to be in your
$mydestination, and the localpart to be a valid local(8) user or
something in aliases(5). Then when a bounce comes from the
master-relay, your Postfix will know what to do with it.

> here is the postfinger output..

Munged beyond all possible usefulness. Mail routing issues tend to
require real domain names to diagnose properly. Please also include
logs if you think you need to post again.

> -- postfinger output --
[snip]

From: charles on
/dev/rob0 wrote:
> On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 07:37:00AM -0500, CT wrote:
>> I do believe this is a relatively simple issue to solve. but
>> haven't found it yet..
>>
>> *my-relay* = internal relay
>> *master-relay* = internal and external relay
>>
>> Setup
>> Sending host => *my-relay* => *master-relay*
>>
>> relayhost = master-relay
>>
>> Looping issue..
>> When the *master-relay* sends *my-relay* a bounced message *my-relay*
>> sees the destination and then sends it back to the *master-relay*.
>>
>> I want my-relay to "receive" *all* email from the *master-relay*
>> and dump it into the Postmaster (alias) mailbox instead of sending it
>> *back* to the *master relay*..
>>
>> What would be the best way to do this.?
>
> I think it is simple too. Solve it outside of Postfix, in the MUA
> and/or mail-sending software. Set the sender domain to be in your
> $mydestination, and the localpart to be a valid local(8) user or
> something in aliases(5). Then when a bounce comes from the
> master-relay, your Postfix will know what to do with it.
>
>> here is the postfinger output..
>
> Munged beyond all possible usefulness. Mail routing issues tend to
> require real domain names to diagnose properly. Please also include
> logs if you think you need to post again.
>
>> -- postfinger output --
> [snip]

I should have stated, I have no control over the sending hosts in the
trusted networks, subsequently *most* are *send-only*and in most cases
do not have an internal or external DNS or MX record.

The master-relay is a "required" setting as it does all the filtering,
my-relay is a legacy service that needs to stay in place due to several
necessary static mappings in the transport file that can not be entered
on the *master-relay*.

There is only 1 SMTP admin for the *master-relay* (actually there are 3
masters) and I want to do my part to fix any *send-only* hosts that use
*my-relay*.

I do finally get the bounced messages but only after "too many hops".

Postfinger was to help with my issue.

Charles

From: Noel Jones on
On 5/6/2010 9:16 AM, charles wrote:
> /dev/rob0 wrote:
> > On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 07:37:00AM -0500, CT wrote:
> >> I do believe this is a relatively simple issue to solve. but
> >> haven't found it yet..
> >>
> >> *my-relay* = internal relay
> >> *master-relay* = internal and external relay
> >>
> >> Setup
> >> Sending host => *my-relay* => *master-relay*
> >>
> >> relayhost = master-relay
> >>
> >> Looping issue..
> >> When the *master-relay* sends *my-relay* a bounced message *my-relay*
> >> sees the destination and then sends it back to the *master-relay*.
> >>
> >> I want my-relay to "receive" *all* email from the *master-relay*
> >> and dump it into the Postmaster (alias) mailbox instead of sending it
> >> *back* to the *master relay*..
> >>
> >> What would be the best way to do this.?
> >
> > I think it is simple too. Solve it outside of Postfix, in the MUA
> > and/or mail-sending software. Set the sender domain to be in your
> > $mydestination, and the localpart to be a valid local(8) user or
> > something in aliases(5). Then when a bounce comes from the
> > master-relay, your Postfix will know what to do with it.
> >
> >> here is the postfinger output..
> >
> > Munged beyond all possible usefulness. Mail routing issues tend to
> > require real domain names to diagnose properly. Please also include
> > logs if you think you need to post again.
> >
> >> -- postfinger output --
> > [snip]
>
> I should have stated, I have no control over the sending hosts in the
> trusted networks, subsequently *most* are *send-only*and in most cases
> do not have an internal or external DNS or MX record.
>
> The master-relay is a "required" setting as it does all the filtering,
> my-relay is a legacy service that needs to stay in place due to several
> necessary static mappings in the transport file that can not be entered
> on the *master-relay*.
>
> There is only 1 SMTP admin for the *master-relay* (actually there are 3
> masters) and I want to do my part to fix any *send-only* hosts that use
> *my-relay*.
>
> I do finally get the bounced messages but only after "too many hops".

You can use a check_sener_access map with something like
<> REDIRECT postmaster(a)localhost

or whatever the local postmaster address is.

Beware: This will catch all null-sender messages and has the
potential to break other things.

-- Noel Jones

From: Noel Jones on
On 5/6/2010 9:26 AM, Noel Jones wrote:
> On 5/6/2010 9:16 AM, charles wrote:
>> /dev/rob0 wrote:

>> > I think it is simple too. Solve it outside of Postfix, in the MUA
>> > and/or mail-sending software. Set the sender domain to be in your
>> > $mydestination, and the localpart to be a valid local(8) user or
>> > something in aliases(5). Then when a bounce comes from the
>> > master-relay, your Postfix will know what to do with it.

>> > Munged beyond all possible usefulness. Mail routing issues tend to
>> > require real domain names to diagnose properly. Please also include
>> > logs if you think you need to post again.

>> > [snip]
>>
>> I should have stated, I have no control over the sending hosts in the
>> trusted networks, subsequently *most* are *send-only*and in most cases
>> do not have an internal or external DNS or MX record.
>>
>> The master-relay is a "required" setting as it does all the filtering,
>> my-relay is a legacy service that needs to stay in place due to several
>> necessary static mappings in the transport file that can not be entered
>> on the *master-relay*.
>>
>> There is only 1 SMTP admin for the *master-relay* (actually there are 3
>> masters) and I want to do my part to fix any *send-only* hosts that use
>> *my-relay*.
>>
>> I do finally get the bounced messages but only after "too many hops".
>

> You can use a check_sener_access map with something like

Duh, check_sender_access