From: Brian Cryer on
"3P" <nospam(a)serwer.pl> wrote in message news:op.vf4vjhi3msp0fz(a)mcs...
> Are You saving/deleting any files under Your website's folder structure.
>
> Add logging application restarts to global.asax.

One of the advantages in using the stateserver for state is that it doesn't
matter if the application gets recycled. Recycling is only an issue with
state if you use in-proc.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

From: Mr. Arnold on
On 7/20/2010 4:54 AM, JK wrote:
> 3P a �crit :
>> Are You saving/deleting any files under Your website's folder structure.
>>
>> Add logging application restarts to global.asax.
>
> I have no global.asax.
> However, when running state server, is that important ?
> I've read somewhere that unless you restart state server, you never lose
> sessions variables.

But how would an application know about the session variables it had
when W3WP.exe was recycled?. Everything is lost I would think. And that
must be the case, because you're talking about even with a session start
server in the infrastructure.

I don't think you're going to find a magic bullet.
From: Mr. Arnold on
On 7/20/2010 4:55 AM, Brian Cryer wrote:
> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold(a)Arnold.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "JK" <JK(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
>>
>> <snipped>
>>
>> Maybe, you should post to this forum.
>>
>> microsoft.public.inetserver.iis
>
> Whilst it wouldn't do any harm to have cross-posted to
> microsoft.public.inetserver.iis (had you cross-posted your reply without
> snipping the original that would have done), the state server has
> nothing to do with iis and is independent of iis it is very must an
> asp.net thing.
>
> To the OP: Whilst I'd not looked into it, I sometimes felt that some
> sessions timed-out prematurely, so I'm interested to know if you resolve
> it.

It's not my job to cross post for anyone. I pointed the OP in the
direction. It's up to him to sip the water.
From: Brian Cryer on
"Mr. Arnold" <Arnold(a)Arnold.com> wrote in message
> On 7/20/2010 4:54 AM, JK wrote:
>> 3P a �crit :
>>> Are You saving/deleting any files under Your website's folder structure.
>>>
>>> Add logging application restarts to global.asax.
>>
>> I have no global.asax.
>> However, when running state server, is that important ?
>> I've read somewhere that unless you restart state server, you never lose
>> sessions variables.
>>

> But how would an application know about the session variables it had when
> W3WP.exe was recycled?. Everything is lost I would think. And that must be
> the case, because you're talking about even with a session start server in
> the infrastructure.

All variables are lost yes, but not session unless you are using in-proc.
With state-server the session information is serialized and stored in a
separate asp.net state server process. The session ID is stored in a cookie
(I think), so is available to the server on each post-back or page-refresh,
and it uses this to retrieve session information from the asp.net state
server process. So session information is preserved across a recycle (which
can be very useful when debugging as you can compile and then continue
without having to re-login).
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

From: JK on
Mr. Arnold a �crit :

> But how would an application know about the session variables it had
> when W3WP.exe was recycled?. Everything is lost I would think. And that
> must be the case, because you're talking about even with a session start
> server in the infrastructure.

Because the sessions variables are held by the state server!
It seems it is designed for this.

JM