From: AKRBT on
I have a Dell desktop with Windows XP MSE SP3 wired to a Linksys router. I
have a sony laptop with XP Home SP3 and a Dell laptop with VistaHome Premium
SP2 (soon to be switched to Windows 7). All computers can access the internet
(cable modem connected to the router) and I can print from the laptops to the
printer connected to the Dell desktop. I can see all computers in the
workgroup and can access the dell laptop's "public" folders. However when I
try and access shared folders on the two XP SP3 machines the computer trying
to connect trys to open them and then a error message about "no permissions"
and "not enough server space" comes up.. well I do have permissions and it is
not a server based network! I have researched online and have doubled
checked everything I have heard to do: work group names match, file sharing
is on, password sharing is off, NETBIOS is enabled in TCP?IP, Windows Browser
service is running, windows firewall is set for exceptions and specifically
file sharing, I have made sure LTTD (sp?) hotfix is installed (told it was
already part of SP3 and not needed). Before getting the Dell laptop with
Vista and upgrading the old computers to XP SP3 I was able to use either the
sony or the dell desktop to seethe other computer's shared folders, so teh
problem is with adding a Vista machine or changing XP to SP3. I have seen
posts about SP3 causing this and similar problems, but no easy solutions. Did
Microsoft really screw things up this bad for everybody who "updated" to SP3?!
From: Bob Lin (MS-MVP) on
Assuming the message is not enough server storage is avaible, you may modify
the register. This search result may help.

Network errors
"Not enough server storage is available to process this command." 1
...... Run out of buffer space in the NetBT datagram buffer. ...
www.chicagotech.net/neterrors.htm

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

From: AKRBT on
Thanks Bob Lin- I searched your forum also, found this:
http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=5012
but I have to say I really do not understand the techno-shorthand, and no
solutions are suggested? You mention modify the register, do you men the
registry? Do you have any ideas how I should? Netbios is on on all the
machines and everything is set up correct per all the networking guides I
have found and even some more technical troubleshooting I have found. I
really think that XP SP3 just has a huge flaw and Microsoft is either unaware
or simply ignoring it as a matter of course. I should not have to do a lot of
complex IP or registry tricks just to get file sharing on a simple home
network to work when it worked fine on XP SP2.. next computer is going to be
a Mac I think now, if I can afford it.