From: Jo-Anne on
My new Toshiba netbook running WinXP SP3 arrived yesterday. I "connected" it
to my wireless router by clicking on the wireless connection icon in the
system tray, picking my network from the ones available, and typing in my
key. It worked fine yesterday and this morning. Suddenly, this afternoon, I
can't get connected to anything. When I hover the cursor over the icon, I am
told "Wireless connection unavailable."

My desktop computer and my other laptop are working fine.

I phoned my ISP and was told there could be some interference and I should
bring in the router and the netbook to have something changed (the channel
maybe?).

Is there anything I can try on my own rather than taking everything to the
shop? Could I have done something to screw up the connection in the course
of setting up something else? Is there any chance that one of the automatic
updates could have done something? (I downloaded and installed all of the
high-priority Windows updates this morning.)

Thank you!

Jo-Anne

From: Danny Kile on
Jo-Anne wrote:
> My new Toshiba netbook running WinXP SP3 arrived yesterday. I "connected" it
> to my wireless router by clicking on the wireless connection icon in the
> system tray, picking my network from the ones available, and typing in my
> key. It worked fine yesterday and this morning. Suddenly, this afternoon, I
> can't get connected to anything. When I hover the cursor over the icon, I am
> told "Wireless connection unavailable."
>
> My desktop computer and my other laptop are working fine.
>
> I phoned my ISP and was told there could be some interference and I should
> bring in the router and the netbook to have something changed (the channel
> maybe?).
>
> Is there anything I can try on my own rather than taking everything to the
> shop? Could I have done something to screw up the connection in the course
> of setting up something else? Is there any chance that one of the automatic
> updates could have done something? (I downloaded and installed all of the
> high-priority Windows updates this morning.)
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jo-Anne

You stated that you desktop and other laptop are working, but you did
not say that they are connected wirelessly or through Ethernet cable.

Put your mouse back over the wireless network icon and right click, then
left click "View Available Wireless Networks". Are there any wireless
networks listed, the one you connected to earlier or perhaps a
neighbors, anything at all? If not click Refresh Network List, and see
if that get you anything.

On some netbook and laptops there is a physical switch for turning off
the wireless network adapter radio, and on some there is a key
combination to do this, you would need to check you owners manual for this.

Please post the make and model of the netbook.

Danny,
From: Jo-Anne on
"Danny Kile" <kiledanny(a)NOSPAMnetscape.net> wrote in message
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>> My new Toshiba netbook running WinXP SP3 arrived yesterday. I "connected"
>> it
>> to my wireless router by clicking on the wireless connection icon in the
>> system tray, picking my network from the ones available, and typing in my
>> key. It worked fine yesterday and this morning. Suddenly, this afternoon,
>> can't get connected to anything. When I hover the cursor over the icon, I
>> am
>> told "Wireless connection unavailable."
>>
>> My desktop computer and my other laptop are working fine.
>>
>> I phoned my ISP and was told there could be some interference and I
>> should
>> bring in the router and the netbook to have something changed (the
>> channel
>> maybe?).
>>
>> Is there anything I can try on my own rather than taking everything to
>> the
>> shop? Could I have done something to screw up the connection in the
>> course
>> of setting up something else? Is there any chance that one of the
>> automatic
>> updates could have done something? (I downloaded and installed all of the
>> high-priority Windows updates this morning.)
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>

> You stated that you desktop and other laptop are working, but you did not
> say that they are connected wirelessly or through Ethernet cable.
>
> Put your mouse back over the wireless network icon and right click, then
> left click "View Available Wireless Networks". Are there any wireless
> networks listed, the one you connected to earlier or perhaps a neighbors,
> anything at all? If not click Refresh Network List, and see if that get
> you anything.
>
> On some netbook and laptops there is a physical switch for turning off the
> wireless network adapter radio, and on some there is a key combination to
> do this, you would need to check you owners manual for this.
>
> Please post the make and model of the netbook.
>
> Danny

Thank you, Danny! I've been thinking it's probably something I did. I was
playing with the FN key. The computer didn't come with a manual, and I've
only now located one online for the series.

What I bought is the Toshiba Mini NB205-N310. It has Bluetooth, and I'm
unfamiliar with that. I suspect I should print out the entire 207-page
manual for reference. I just found something in the manual about using the
FN key + F8 to enable and disable the optional wireless devices installed in
the computer. But so far it hasn't worked to change anything.

My desktop computer is connected physically to the wireless router. My other
laptop is connected wirelessly to the router. I can't choose a wireless
network on the netbook; when I right-click on the icon, where I'd normally
get a list of networks, what I get instead is "Windows cannot configure this
wireless connection. If you have enabled another problem to configure this
wireless connection, use that software."

Any idea of what I should try next?

Thank you again!

Jo-Anne

From: Jo-Anne on
"Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> only now located one online for the series.
>
> What I bought is the Toshiba Mini NB205-N310. It has Bluetooth, and I'm
> unfamiliar with that. I suspect I should print out the entire 207-page
> manual for reference. I just found something in the manual about using the
> FN key + F8 to enable and disable the optional wireless devices installed
> in the computer. But so far it hasn't worked to change anything.
>
> My desktop computer is connected physically to the wireless router. My
> other laptop is connected wirelessly to the router. I can't choose a
> wireless network on the netbook; when I right-click on the icon, where I'd
> normally get a list of networks, what I get instead is "Windows cannot
> configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled another problem to
> configure this wireless connection, use that software."

Oops: "If you have enabled another problem" should be "...program."

From: Danny Kile on
Jo-Anne wrote:
> [...]
> only now located one online for the series.
>
> What I bought is the Toshiba Mini NB205-N310. It has Bluetooth, and I'm
> unfamiliar with that. I suspect I should print out the entire 207-page
> manual for reference. I just found something in the manual about using the
> FN key + F8 to enable and disable the optional wireless devices installed in
> the computer. But so far it hasn't worked to change anything.
>
> My desktop computer is connected physically to the wireless router. My other
> laptop is connected wirelessly to the router. I can't choose a wireless
> network on the netbook; when I right-click on the icon, where I'd normally
> get a list of networks, what I get instead is "Windows cannot configure this
> wireless connection. If you have enabled another problem to configure this
> wireless connection, use that software."

The FN key + F8 will turn the radio on/off.

When the Wireless antenna is ON, the wireless indicator light will
be lit. Be sure it is on.

The message "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you
have enabled another program to configure this wireless connection, use
that software." For this you need to mouse over the other Icons on the
task bar, this would be down by the clock. Look for an icon indicating
the wireless adapter. You may need to use this to configure the
connection. However, I prefer to use this utility to tell windows to use
the Windows Wireless Utility and not use the Network Adapter Utility. It
would seem that somehow the switch was made from the Windows Utility to
the Vendors Adapter Utility.

Danny,