From: Jeremy Allison on
On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 10:45:39PM -0500, Chris Smith wrote:
> Just upgraded a Samba PDC from 3.0.32 to 3.5.1. The good news - it is
> running - the bad news - probably on life support.
>
> All seemed well until I started getting messages on some Windows
> clients that the domain was not available - if your credentials were
> not cached you could not log in - if they were everything seemed to
> work.
>
> The test:
> nmblookup -B BIGSERVER __SAMBA__
>
> failed (yes, I replaced BIGSERVER with the proper PDC name)
>
> The test:
> nmblookup -M testgroup
>
> also failed.
>
> But if your credentials were cached, you could login, the netlogon
> scripts would run, the shared directories and printers were
> available,etc.
>
> A restart makes everything right (the tests above will produce correct
> info and the domain will be available) - for anywhere from a few
> minutes to an hour or so but at some point samba will lose its head
> and the domain will be unavailable.
>
> Assistance is greatly appreciated.

There were some changes that went into nmbd in 3.5.x to
allow it to run correctly on a box with "bind interfaces only"
set. Can you post your smb.conf ?

Jeremy.
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Jeremy Allison <jra(a)samba.org> wrote:
> There were some changes that went into nmbd in 3.5.x to
> allow it to run correctly on a box with "bind interfaces only"
> set. Can you post your smb.conf ?

Here it is:
[global]
name resolve order = host wins bcast
enable privileges = Yes
strict locking = No
host msdfs = no
show add printer wizard = Yes
time server = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
msdfs root = no
cups options = raw
netbios name = BIONAME
printing = cups
max wins ttl = 86400
logon script = scripts\agents.bat
local master = Yes
workgroup = WRKGRP
os level = 32
printcap name = cups
security = user
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g
'nofiles' -c 'Machine Account' -s /bin/false '%u'
min wins ttl = 3600
max log size = 1000
log level = 2 passdb:2 auth:2 winbind:0
log file = /var/log/samba/%m
smb ports = 445 139
map acl inherit = Yes
logon drive = h:
deadtime = 3
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
interfaces = eth0, 127.0.0.1
bind interfaces only = Yes
domain master = Yes
preferred master = Yes
logon home = \\%N\%U
passdb backend = tdbsam
ea support = yes
wins support = true
unix password sync = Yes
max ttl = 43200
logon path =
use sendfile = Yes
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g "users" -G "agent" -m
-k "/etc/skelnul" -s /bin/false '%u'
syslog = 0
domain logons = Yes
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password*%n\n
*password*updated*succesfully*
pam password change = Yes
The rest is netlogon, printer & file shares - if you want it no problem.

Also notice that after the failure if I edit the init script to
restart _just_ the nmbd daemon (leave smbd up and running) it seems to
run - if I restart both daemons it fails quickly.

Thanks,

Chris
On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 11:27:33PM -0500, Chris Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Jeremy Allison <jra(a)samba.org> wrote:
> > There were some changes that went into nmbd in 3.5.x to
> > allow it to run correctly on a box with "bind interfaces only"
> > set. Can you post your smb.conf ?

So you are setting:

> interfaces = eth0, 127.0.0.1
> bind interfaces only = Yes

Can you try removing these and seeing if the problem persists ?
Is there a specific reason for excluding any other interfaces ?

Jeremy
On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Jeremy Allison <jra(a)samba.org> wrote:
> So you are setting:
>
>>         interfaces = eth0, 127.0.0.1
>>         bind interfaces only = Yes
>
> Can you try removing these and seeing if the problem persists ?
> Is there a specific reason for excluding any other interfaces ?

I will certainly test tonight if that makes a difference. And, yes,
there is an eth1 that I don't want Samba running on.

Will post results.

Thank you,

Chris
Decided to re-compile and re-install Samba last night and with or
without the interfaces (and bind interfaces only) parameters enabled I
could not get the PDC to pass the "nmblookup -M testgroup" test and at
first it was even failing the "nmblookup -B BIGSERVER __SAMBA__".

Weird thing though, is that a Samba member server would publish
correct results to the "nmblookup -M testgroup" test - even though PDC
itself could not. Last thing I tried was setting "interfaces =
192.168.1.4 127.0.0.1" and "nmblookup -B BIGSERVER __SAMBA__" started
working. And finally some time later (I didn't check it every five
minutes so I can't say exactly when - but it wasn't within the first
15 minutes) the PDC started to produce proper results for "nmblookup
-M testgroup".

I get this odd stuff in the nmbd log:
Doing a node status request to the domain master browser
for workgroup WRKGRP at IP 127.0.0.2 failed.
Cannot sync browser lists.
[2010/03/11 17:28:47.992433, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:337(become_domain_master_browser_wins)
become_domain_master_browser_wins:
Attempting to become domain master browser on workgroup WRKGRP,
subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
[2010/03/11 17:28:47.992562, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:351(become_domain_master_browser_wins)
become_domain_master_browser_wins: querying WINS server from IP
127.0.0.1 for domain master browser name WRKGRP<1b> on workgroup
WRKGRP
[2010/03/11 17:28:47.992719, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:235(become_domain_master_query_success)
become_domain_master_query_success:
There is already a domain master browser at IP 127.0.0.2 for
workgroup WRKGRP registered on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
[2010/03/11 17:34:02.583418, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:337(become_domain_master_browser_wins)
become_domain_master_browser_wins:
Attempting to become domain master browser on workgroup WRKGRP,
subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
[2010/03/11 17:34:02.583538, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:351(become_domain_master_browser_wins)
become_domain_master_browser_wins: querying WINS server from IP
127.0.0.1 for domain master browser name WRKGRP<1b> on workgroup
WRKGRP
[2010/03/11 17:34:02.588884, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:235(become_domain_master_query_success)
become_domain_master_query_success:
There is already a domain master browser at IP 127.0.0.2 for
workgroup WRKGRP registered on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.

It doesn't seem to like the fact that I have a secondary address on lo:
# ip addr
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
inet 127.0.0.2/8 brd 127.255.255.255 scope host secondary lo

There is no name associated with secondary lo address as it was set
with iproute2 (ifconfig does not report the address at all).

Guide me wise Jedi master.

Chris