From: Dee on
I am getting an error message when I try to open my excell file saying "this
action exceeds the number of page breaks you can manually add to a worksheet.
A worksheet can contain up to 1026 horizontal page breaks. This is a file
that was developed in 2004 and has been set to calculate personnel salaries
and the contract period is entered. The file is very large, but most of the
pages do not have data in them yet. I have approximately 890 lines of data
in the worksheet, but the sheet is continuous to over 6,000 lines.
From: Susan on
it's possible you can open it in safe mode:
******************************
The following article says Safe mode is the Ctrl Key.

<Copy>
In Excel 2002 and later, to start Excel in Safe Mode, hold down the
CTRL key
while you start Excel. You will receive the following message:

Excel has detected that you are holding down the CTRL key. Do you want
start Excel in safe mode?
<...end of copy>

HOW TO: Prevent Excel from Automatically Opening Files in the Startup
Folder
in Excel 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826922
but i'm not sure if it will help your situation.
do you have a backup of the last one that worked???
hth
susan

From: Susan on
am searching newsgroups for ideas..............
try this:

Does it help if you switch off Tools / Options / View / Page Breaks
(do this before you try to open that file.... perhaps with just a
blank document)

do you get an error number with that message? something more concrete
i could search for? not getting anywhere with "open file page break
error"
:\

From: Susan on
well, there's always

How to recover data from damaged workbooks in Excel 2002 and in Excel
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820741/en-us

aha!
Excel limits the number of manual page breaks to 1026
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/284916/en-us

QUOTE
With Microsoft Excel 2002, you receive the following error message:
Run-time error '1004':
This action exceeds the number of page breaks you can manually add to
a worksheet. A worksheet can contain up to 1026 horizontal page
breaks.
UNQUOTE

ummmm, but it doesn't say what to DO.
sorry! i have a little time left to keep searching, but the day (& my
internet access) is drawing to a close..........
:(
susan

From: Susan on
:)
the summary of what i've found is, apparently a sub, probably an
auto_open sub, is trying to add page breaks via VBA & exceeding that
1026 limit. if you open the workbook in safe mode, you can hit Alt +
F11 & open the vba editor & look for an "auto_open" sub. if you find
one, highlight it, cut it, and paste it into a word document (for
temporary safekeeping). then close the document & try opening it
again (not in safe mode). if it works ok then, then it's that sub
that's causing the problem. post it here & i'll take a look @ it
tomorrow.

if it STILL won't work (outside of safe mode), then i'd open it in
safe mode & then copy & paste all the DATA to a new workbook.

if it won't open even in safe mode, well, then you'll have to try the
recovering data from a damaged workbook bit. otherwise - you've got a
lot of re-entering to do. :(
hope this all helps somewhat!
susan