From: Archimedes Plutonium on

Archimedes Plutonium wrote:
> [...]
> > 1) Twin Primes
> > 2) Infinitude of even Perfect Numbers
> > 3) 1 is the only odd Perfect Number
> >
> > I proved Twin Primes and even Perfect Numbers already in this thread
> > so may as well grapple with 1 is the only odd Perfect Number.
> >
> > I did this proof in early 1990s, so it is nothing new as to the
> > technique
> > involved. I won no converts, but sometimes in mathematics a proof
> > acceptance
> > takes longer than finding a proof. People are stubborn and jeolous
> > like anything else.
> >
> > Now the wording of this conjecture is different from the literature
> > for they say No
> > Odd Perfect number exists, but I like to use 1 as an Odd Perfect
> > Number and there
> > is no prejudice to that restatement and proof.
> >
> > Now the way I prove that 1 is the only odd perfect number is that I
> > look upon the smallest
> > even perfect number of 6 and see how it is driven to be "perfect" and
> > I use fractions to
> > get me the insight.
> >
> > So I see 6 as the smallest perfect even number because I see this:
> >
> > 1/6 + 2/6 + 3/6 = 6/6
> >
> > Now that does not give me any real insight until I turn that around to
> > be this:
> >
> > 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/6 = 1
> >
> > Now the insights begin to flow. I see that to ever attain "perfectness
> > of number"
> > I need 50% as one factor.
> >
> > Then the major insight occurs, that the numerator is always going to
> > be odd
> > whereas the denominators are going to be a mix of odd and even.
> >
> > Now do many of you readers remember the proof of the square root of 2
> > is
> > irrational and how we play around with even and odd in the proof? You
> > remember that
> > tussle back and forth of even and odd.
> >
> > Well in the proof that 1 is the only odd perfect number we have a sort
> > of deja vu all over
> > again with even and odd accounting.
> >
> > To be a perfect number such as 6, you need that 50% margin in one
> > divisor. You can
> > never have that 50% in a odd number. Take for example 15
> >
> > 1/15 + 3/15 + 5/15
> >
> > 1/15 + 1/5 + 1/3
> >
> > So, in my proof in the early 1990s, what I was doing was saying that
> > if a Odd Perfect
> > number larger than 1 exists, it is a very strange number indeed
> > because it would have
> > to have a 50% factor and that would mean it would have to have a
> > denominator that was
> > even when denominators are odd for odd numbers.
> >

> So what I argued in my earlier 1990s proof that 1 is the only odd
> perfect number is that
> much the same as square root of 2 as rational is impossible since it
> then destroys the meaning of odd versus even factorability.
>
> In order to have a Odd Perfect Number larger than 1, would entail

I was typing too fast, let me correct that. I should have included:

1/3 + 1/3combo + 1/3combo

In the case of even perfect numbers we have always a 50% and then it
is just a matter of adding up the other 50% to get perfect so I wrote
1/2 + 1/2combo for even perfect numbers

But to get a perfect odd number we can never have the 50% so we must
have something like a

1/3 + 1/3combo + 1/3combo
I think I can shorten the proof by noting why that is impossible.

Now I do remember a expert in this field reporting about what he
called, correct me if wrong,
about the surplus and deficit of numbers in contention for
perfectness. What he meant was that there are even numbers that are
below being perfect and then there are some that are
above perfectness, that they have more factors that they exceed 100%,
whereas perfect
numbers add up to 100%. And surprizingly this surplus and deficit
holds true for odd numbers
vying for perfectness. It seems strange that some odd numbers
summation exceeds 100%.

So I am cognizant of that fact, in marshalling this proof together.

So basically let me summarize at this moment. There cannot be a odd
perfect number
except 1, because to attain perfectness the accounting must end up
looking like this:

1/3 + 1/3combo + 1/3combo

In the case of 45 we have:

1/45 + 3/45 + 15/45 + 5/45 + 9/45 for a total of 33/45

We have a 1/3 in that of 15/45 and we have one 1/3combo in that of
1/45+5/45+9/45
So in 45 we have 1/3 +1/3combo but no extra 1/3combo

So perhaps I can shorten the proof by pointing out why no odd number
can be perfect,
except 1, because no odd number can add up to 1/3 + 1/3combo +
1/3combo. And also
why this 1/3 has to be the unique adding up.

I think the short answer is that you have to have 1/3 + 2/3combo and
it is the 2 in the
numerator that is never allowed to be a factor in odd numbers.

So I suspect the entire proof of No Odd Perfect number hinges on that
2 in the numerator
and why it is impossible for an Odd Perfect number except 1

> (b) we have 1/2 + ( a combination equalling a sum of the other 1/2)
>
> Both those end up destroying the even versus odd factorability

Now the question would be, why AP able to prove this and noone before,
since there
was no mistakes in Logic Structure as in Euclid's IP of indirect
method. Apparently a
proof of No Odd Perfect Number just took a clever sort of fellow.
Someone who can
disassemble a math problem into its simple basic underpinnings.

Archimedes Plutonium
http://www.iw.net/~a_plutonium/