From: root on
Recently I downloaded the dvd versions of Slack
13.0 and 13.1. After downloading 13.1 I ran
an md5sum on the downloaded file and compared
that to the published value. I then burned the
dvd with a burner on /dev/hdb. I followed up
by doing:

md5sum /dev/hdb

and got the same value as the original file.

Then I tried the same thing with the 13.0 image.
As before, the downloaded file matched the
published md5sum, but this time, after burning
and using the md5sum on /dev/hdb the checksum
did not match.

Do I tried burning a different brand of DVD.
Same result. Then I tried both brands of dvd
blanks in a second burner on /dev/hda. All
the md5sums agreed with each other, but all
were different from the file and different
from the published value.

Any ideas of what might explain the differences?

TIA
From: Chris Sorenson on
root wrote:
> Recently I downloaded the dvd versions of Slack
> 13.0 and 13.1. After downloading 13.1 I ran
> an md5sum on the downloaded file and compared
> that to the published value. I then burned the
> dvd with a burner on /dev/hdb. I followed up
> by doing:
>
> md5sum /dev/hdb
>
> and got the same value as the original file.
>
> Then I tried the same thing with the 13.0 image.
> As before, the downloaded file matched the
> published md5sum, but this time, after burning
> and using the md5sum on /dev/hdb the checksum
> did not match.
>
> Do I tried burning a different brand of DVD.
> Same result. Then I tried both brands of dvd
> blanks in a second burner on /dev/hda. All
> the md5sums agreed with each other, but all
> were different from the file and different
> from the published value.
>
> Any ideas of what might explain the differences?

DVD burning is _not_ an exact science... ;)
From: Grant on
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 10:49:40 -0500, Chris Sorenson <csoren(a)isd.net> wrote:

>root wrote:
>> Recently I downloaded the dvd versions of Slack
>> 13.0 and 13.1. After downloading 13.1 I ran
>> an md5sum on the downloaded file and compared
>> that to the published value. I then burned the
>> dvd with a burner on /dev/hdb. I followed up
>> by doing:
>>
>> md5sum /dev/hdb
>>
>> and got the same value as the original file.
>>
>> Then I tried the same thing with the 13.0 image.
>> As before, the downloaded file matched the
>> published md5sum, but this time, after burning
>> and using the md5sum on /dev/hdb the checksum
>> did not match.
>>
>> Do I tried burning a different brand of DVD.
>> Same result. Then I tried both brands of dvd
>> blanks in a second burner on /dev/hda. All
>> the md5sums agreed with each other, but all
>> were different from the file and different
>> from the published value.
>>
>> Any ideas of what might explain the differences?
>>

>DVD burning is _not_ an exact science... ;)

There's information outside the file image too? Number of padding
blocks might change the returned md5sum?

I've never expected burned DVD to match md5sum, instead I trust the
burner app to correctly verify the image after writing the CD/DVD.

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au/
From: Baho Utot on
root wrote:

> Recently I downloaded the dvd versions of Slack
> 13.0 and 13.1. After downloading 13.1 I ran
> an md5sum on the downloaded file and compared
> that to the published value. I then burned the
> dvd with a burner on /dev/hdb. I followed up
> by doing:
>
> md5sum /dev/hdb
>
> and got the same value as the original file.
>
> Then I tried the same thing with the 13.0 image.
> As before, the downloaded file matched the
> published md5sum, but this time, after burning
> and using the md5sum on /dev/hdb the checksum
> did not match.
>
> Do I tried burning a different brand of DVD.
> Same result. Then I tried both brands of dvd
> blanks in a second burner on /dev/hda. All
> the md5sums agreed with each other, but all
> were different from the file and different
> from the published value.
>
> Any ideas of what might explain the differences?
>
> TIA

check-burn.sh

#!/bin/bash
if [ $1 ]; then
isoFile=$1
else
echo "Usage: $0 <iso-image> <cd-drive>"
echo "E.g. $0 /tmp/slackware-12.0.iso /dev/dvd"
exit 1
fi

if [ $2 ]; then
cdDrive=$2
else
echo "Usage: $0 <iso-image> <cd-drive>"
echo "E.g. $0 /tmp/slackware-12.0.iso /dev/dvd"
exit 1
fi

if [ ! -b $cdDrive ]; then
echo "ERROR. '$cdDrive' is not a block device."
exit 1
fi

if [ ! -r $isoFile ]; then
echo "ERROR. ISO image '$isoFile' does not exist."
exit 1
else
echo "** Verifying md5sums between $isoFile <-> $cdDrive"
dd if=$cdDrive | head -c $(stat --format=%s $isoFile) | md5sum \
&& md5sum $isoFile
fi
From: root on
Baho Utot <baho-utot(a)invalid.com> wrote:

> check-burn.sh
>
> #!/bin/bash
> if [ $1 ]; then
> isoFile=$1
> else
> echo "Usage: $0 <iso-image> <cd-drive>"
> echo "E.g. $0 /tmp/slackware-12.0.iso /dev/dvd"
> exit 1
> fi
>
> if [ $2 ]; then
> cdDrive=$2
> else
> echo "Usage: $0 <iso-image> <cd-drive>"
> echo "E.g. $0 /tmp/slackware-12.0.iso /dev/dvd"
> exit 1
> fi
>
> if [ ! -b $cdDrive ]; then
> echo "ERROR. '$cdDrive' is not a block device."
> exit 1
> fi
>
> if [ ! -r $isoFile ]; then
> echo "ERROR. ISO image '$isoFile' does not exist."
> exit 1
> else
> echo "** Verifying md5sums between $isoFile <-> $cdDrive"
> dd if=$cdDrive | head -c $(stat --format=%s $isoFile) | md5sum \
> && md5sum $isoFile
> fi

Thanks for the script. Unfortunately the md5sum generated
by the script differed from both the iso and the one
formed by simply md5sum /dev/hdb.

I guess the real question is why the checksum worked on
the 13.1 disk I burned first.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: dhcpd angst...