From: Keith Keller on
On 2010-08-05, David Brown <david(a)westcontrol.removethisbit.com> wrote:

> Theoretically, raid6 can survive two dead disks. But with even a single
> dead disk, you've got a very long re-build time which involves reading
> all the data from all the other disks - performance is trashed

I've had actual disk failures on a hardware RAID6, and performance
wasn't as badly trashed as I thought it'd be. It wasn't fabulous, but
it was certainly usable.

> and you risk provoking another disk failure.

All too true. I've been lucky so far on this front.

> With raid10, you can survive
> between 1 and 4 dead disks, as long as only one disk per pair goes bad.
> Rebuilds are simple copies, which are fast and only run through a
> single disk. You can always triple-mirror if you want extra redundancy.

....but with a triple-mirror you've now taken 9 1TB disks to 3TB usable,
which doesn't sound very appetizing to me. The suggestion to use a
RAID51 seems more reasonable: for 8 1TB disks, you get 3TB usable and
can tolerate any three disks failing, and up to five failed disks in the
right situation (e.g., four on one RAID5, one on the other). With
RAID10 in simple two-disk mirrors, as you point out, if you lose two
disks from the same RAID1 the array is lost.

Unfortunately the only real way to know what performance will be like is
to do realistic benchmarking with the hardware you plan to use.
Obviously this isn't easy; who has a spare 8TB fileserver around for
testing?

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

From: Aragorn on
On Friday 06 August 2010 00:35 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
identifying as Pascal Hambourg wrote...

> Hello,
>
> Rahul a écrit :
>> Aragorn <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote in news:i3fbr4$dvf$2
>> @news.eternal-september.org:
>>
>>> 1 GHz is impossible. :-) It's 1 MHz - based upon what you've pasted
>>> - but that applies for each CPU in your system.
>>
>> Stupid me. Of course, you are right. :)
>>
>> gcc timer.c
>> ./a.out
>
> That's 1 kHz. Even 1 MHz (1000000 Hz) would be very high.

Then stupid me as well, because I apparently mixed up "kilo"
and "mega". :p

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: Robert Heller on
At Thu, 5 Aug 2010 21:22:19 +0000 (UTC) Rahul <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Aragorn <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote in
>
> > On Thursday 05 August 2010 18:49 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
> > identifying as Rahul wrote...
>
> > The Linux kernel supports *many* hardware RAID controllers out of the
> > box, and most of those would fall under the "tried and tested"
> > category. ;-)
>
> True. But I find the user base of any HW-controller is always smaller
> than that of something like mdadm.

This should not really be suprising and is really a meaningless
comparison. That is like saying the user base of 'generic car' is
larger that the userbase of 'Ford F100 Pickup Truck'. This does not
mean that somehow 'Ford F100 Pickup Truck' is any less supported or
works poorly relative to 'generic car'.

In the case of mdadm, just about *any* one can use mdadm -- all they
need are two disk drives (actually not, mdadm will be perfectly happy to
mirror two partitions on ONE disk, although that is probably not really
a useful thing to do). HW RAID controllers (good ones anyway) cost money and
for many users software RAID is good enough, since for many users the
performance gain of a HW RAID controller is not worth the added cost.
Mostly people with higher-end servers bother with HW RAID controllers,
since they are the sorts of people who need the performance, etc.

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller(a)deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

From: Trevor Hemsley on
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 21:22:19 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, Rahul
<nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> I am running a 2.6 kernel (2.6.18-164.el51).

That sounds like a standard RHEL5/Centos5 kernel (and quite an old one too since
the latest is 2.6.18-194.8.1-el5). If so then it won't be a preemptible kernel.
And there's at least one bug in it that affects software RAID - and if memory
serves correctly it was to do with RAID 6.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com
From: Trevor Hemsley on
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 21:22:19 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, Rahul
<nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> I am running a 2.6 kernel (2.6.18-164.el51).

I'm thinking about the problem described here