From: Ric on
Gents,
Attempting to get Android SDK running and I think I've borked my bash
profile. Now, from a terminal window, most commands just give
"command not found". CD to a directory works, for example, but LS to
list contents does not. pico doesn't work. I'm not sure what I've
done and I've even less idea how to put it back to normal.
Anyone able to help me out?

Ric
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-07-12 20:11:39 +0100, Ric said:

> Gents,
> Attempting to get Android SDK running and I think I've borked my bash
> profile. Now, from a terminal window, most commands just give
> "command not found". CD to a directory works, for example, but LS to
> list contents does not. pico doesn't work. I'm not sure what I've
> done and I've even less idea how to put it back to normal.
> Anyone able to help me out?

Type this:

PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:$PATH

This will let you run normal commands like ls. Then figure out how you
knobbled your profile :-)

--
Chris

From: Woody on
Ric <infobubble(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Gents,
> Attempting to get Android SDK running and I think I've borked my bash
> profile. Now, from a terminal window, most commands just give
> "command not found". CD to a directory works, for example, but LS to
> list contents does not. pico doesn't work. I'm not sure what I've
> done and I've even less idea how to put it back to normal.
> Anyone able to help me out?

If you type 'set' in the terminal what is your path?

Mine is
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/Users/wo
ody/Projects/android-sdk-mac_x86-1.5_r1/tools

hmm.. should change that last bit now that I don't have that folder!

--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
From: Ric on
On 12 July, 20:41, use...(a)alienrat.co.uk (Woody) wrote:
> Ric <infobub...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Gents,
> > Attempting to get Android SDK running and I think I've borked my bash
> > profile.  Now, from a terminal window, most commands just give
> > "command not found".  CD to a directory works, for example, but LS to
> > list contents does not.  pico doesn't work.  I'm not sure what I've
> > done and I've even less idea how to put it back to normal.
> > Anyone able to help me out?
>
> If you type 'set' in the terminal what is your path?
>
> Mine is
> PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/Users/wo
> ody/Projects/android-sdk-mac_x86-1.5_r1/tools
>
> hmm.. should change that last bit now that I don't have that folder!
>
> --
> Woody
>
> www.alienrat.com

Guys, ran PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:$PATH in terminal, and it executes,
but when I then try an "ls" command it's still not found.
After this, running "set" gives

Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render=/tmp/launch-y6Pz3i/Render
BASH=/bin/bash
BASH_ARGC=()
BASH_ARGV=()
BASH_LINENO=()
BASH_SOURCE=()
BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="3" [1]="2" [2]="48" [3]="1" [4]="release" [5]="x86_64-
apple-darwin10.0")
BASH_VERSION='3.2.48(1)-release'
COLUMNS=80
COMMAND_MODE=unix2003
DIRSTACK=()
DISPLAY=/tmp/launch-ivSlqd/:0
EUID=501
GROUPS=()
HISTFILE=/Users/Ric/.bash_history
HISTFILESIZE=500
HISTSIZE=500
HOME=/Users/Ric
HOSTNAME=Rics-MacBook-Pro.local
HOSTTYPE=x86_64
IFS=$' \t\n'
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LINES=24
LOGNAME=Ric
MACHTYPE=x86_64-apple-darwin10.0
MAILCHECK=60
OPTERR=1
OPTIND=1
OSTYPE=darwin10.0
PATH='/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:$'
PIPESTATUS=([0]="127")
PPID=1053
PS1='\h:\W \u\$ '
PS2='> '
PS4='+ '
PWD=/Users/Ric
SECURITYSESSIONID=235dd4
SHELL=/bin/bash
SHELLOPTS=braceexpand:emacs:hashall:histexpand:history:interactive-
comments:monitor
SHLVL=1
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/launch-QlNO6e/Listeners
TERM=xterm-color
TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=272
TMPDIR=/var/folders/NS/NSxmiMa7HWSBXTdRBRf+cE+++TI/-Tmp-/
UID=501
USER=Ric
_=ls
__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0
path='/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:$'

Help!
From: Richard Kettlewell on
Ric <infobubble(a)gmail.com> writes:
> On 12 July, 20:41, use...(a)alienrat.co.uk (Woody) wrote:
>> Ric <infobub...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Attempting to get Android SDK running and I think I've borked my bash
>> > profile.  Now, from a terminal window, most commands just give
>> > "command not found".  CD to a directory works, for example, but LS to
>> > list contents does not.  pico doesn't work.  I'm not sure what I've
>> > done and I've even less idea how to put it back to normal.
>> > Anyone able to help me out?
>>
>> If you type 'set' in the terminal what is your path?
>>
>> Mine is
>> PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/Users/wo
>> ody/Projects/android-sdk-mac_x86-1.5_r1/tools
>>
>> hmm.. should change that last bit now that I don't have that folder!
>>
>> --
>> Woody
>>
>> www.alienrat.com
>
> Guys, ran PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:$PATH in terminal, and it executes,
> but when I then try an "ls" command it's still not found.
> After this, running "set" gives

You need both /bin and /usr/bin.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/