From: Tony Johansson on
Hi!

Is it correct described if I say that metadata is everying that an assembly
is using such as classes, structure interfaces, propery and methods. This
was just some example. Metadata contains also info about each statement and
local variable.

//Tony

From: Arne Vajhøj on
On 13-05-2010 05:40, Tony Johansson wrote:
> Is it correct described if I say that metadata is everying that an assembly
> is using such as classes, structure interfaces, propery and methods. This
> was just some example. Metadata contains also info about each statement and
> local variable.

Metadata is a very broad term.

But assembly meta data seems to match your description.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_metadata

ECMA-335:

<quote>
9 Metadata
New types�value types and reference types�are introduced into the CTS
via type declarations expressed in
metadata. In addition, metadata is a structured way to represent all
information that the CLI uses to locate and
load classes, lay out instances in memory, resolve method invocations,
translate CIL to native code, enforce
security, and set up runtime context boundaries. Every CLI PE/COFF
module (see Partition II) carries a
compact metadata binary that is emitted into the module by the
CLI-enabled development tool or compiler.
Each CLI-enabled language will expose a language-appropriate syntax for
declaring types and members and for
annotating them with attributes that express which services they require
of the infrastructure. Type imports are
also handled in a language-appropriate way, and it is the development
tool or compiler that consumes the
metadata to expose the types that the developer sees.
Note that the typical component or application developer will not need
to be aware of the rules for emitting and
consuming CLI metadata. While it can help a developer to understand the
structure of metadata, the rules
outlined in this clause are primarily of interest to tool builders and
compiler writers.
</quote>

Sometimes the term metadata is used to mean the information
from assembly manifest.

Arne