From: pacca on
Any body using MS security essentials? Why so many updates is it necessary
to down load that many, using a lot of disk space!

From: R. C. White on
Hi, pacca.

Yes! MSE is doing a fine job for me and has ever since it first appeared
last year.

I have Windows Update set to download the updates and ask me when to install
them. Then I set MSE to check for the latest definitions before running its
weekly scan.

Each downloaded Definition Update apparently overwrites the previous one, so
they do not continuously gobble up more disk space. At least, my entire
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials folder tree uses only 17 MB
(not GB) of space after several months of continually-updated use. For
today's large hard drives, that is not much space.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: Bobby Johnson on
To add to R.C.'s comments, it is usual for any antivirus to update at
least once a day because of the number of new or altered virus released
into the wild everyday.

From: mikeyhsd on
once a day is not too many.
some do more than that.

be glad it is keeping up with the nasties in the wild.

mikeyshd

From: Charlie Russel-MVP on
Agreed with all. I really like MSE. It's the lowest impact AV I've used, and
seems to be doing its job. Unfortunately, it's not available for XP x64, but
is for Vista and Win7 64-bit versions.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/Russel