From: jay on
here's how it's supposed to work:

on the 1st machine:
zpool export ship

move the disk to the 2nd machine, and over there:

zpool import ship

i have this note from oracle support that says
you need the SUNWXCall cluster installed on both -- that is
the biggest cluster you can choose during
install (except maybe the one w/ 3rd party
drivers). any truth to this? unfortunately, i have
only one test machine. i have the developer cluster,
not the entire cluster. on the single machine, it works.

/etc/release sez: Solaris 10 5/09 s10s_u7wos_08

thanks in advance.
From: webjuan on
On Apr 30, 2:48 pm, jay <bigcra...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> here's how it's supposed to work:
>
> on the 1st machine:
> zpool export ship
>
> move the disk to the 2nd machine, and over there:
>
> zpool import ship
>
> i have this note from oracle support that says
> you need the SUNWXCall cluster installed on both -- that is
> the biggest cluster you can choose during
> install (except maybe the one w/ 3rd party
> drivers).  any truth to this?  unfortunately, i have
> only one test machine.  i have the developer cluster,
> not the entire cluster.  on the single machine, it works.
>
> /etc/release sez:  Solaris 10 5/09 s10s_u7wos_08
>
> thanks in advance.

I havent heard about having SUNWXCall as a requirement on both
machines, sounds a little too excessive to me. However, I could be
wrong. One thing you might want to ensure is that both systems have
the same ZFS version or ensure the 2nd machine has a newer version.

For example, on my Solaris 10 5/09 box:

(labbox)# zfs upgrade
This system is currently running ZFS filesystem version 3.

All filesystems are formatted with the current version.

(labbox)# zfs upgrade -v
The following filesystem versions are supported:

VER DESCRIPTION
--- --------------------------------------------------------
1 Initial ZFS filesystem version
2 Enhanced directory entries
3 Case insensitive and File system unique identifer (FUID)

For more information on a particular version, including supported
releases, see:

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/version/zpl/N

Where 'N' is the version number.

Hope that points you in the right direction.

juan martinez
From: jay on
On Apr 30, 2:18 pm, webjuan <webj...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 2:48 pm, jay <bigcra...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > here's how it's supposed to work:
>
> > on the 1st machine:
> > zpool export ship
>
> > move the disk to the 2nd machine, and over there:
>
> > zpool import ship
>
> > i have this note from oracle support that says
> > you need the SUNWXCall cluster installed on both -- that is
> > the biggest cluster you can choose during
> > install (except maybe the one w/ 3rd party
> > drivers).  any truth to this?  unfortunately, i have
> > only one test machine.  i have the developer cluster,
> > not the entire cluster.  on the single machine, it works.
>
> > /etc/release sez:  Solaris 10 5/09 s10s_u7wos_08
>
> > thanks in advance.
>
> I havent heard about having SUNWXCall as a requirement on both
> machines, sounds a little too excessive to me.  However, I could be
> wrong.  One thing you might want to ensure is that both systems have
> the same ZFS version or ensure the 2nd machine has a newer version.
>
> For example, on my Solaris 10 5/09 box:
>
> (labbox)# zfs upgrade
> This system is currently running ZFS filesystem version 3.
>
> All filesystems are formatted with the current version.
>
> (labbox)# zfs upgrade -v
> The following filesystem versions are supported:
>
> VER  DESCRIPTION
> ---  --------------------------------------------------------
>  1   Initial ZFS filesystem version
>  2   Enhanced directory entries
>  3   Case insensitive and File system unique identifer (FUID)
>
> For more information on a particular version, including supported
> releases, see:
>
> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/version/zpl/N
>
> Where 'N' is the version number.
>
> Hope that points you in the right direction.
>
> juan martinez

that SUNWCXall was excessive was my reaction, too.
however, it occurs to me that i might be able to get a
little closer to the truth on a machine at another site.
i can't actually move the disk between machines but i
can move it from one disk slot to another. maybe
that will look "different enough" to tell me something.

j.
From: Ian Collins on
On 05/ 1/10 06:48 AM, jay wrote:
> here's how it's supposed to work:
>
> on the 1st machine:
> zpool export ship
>
> move the disk to the 2nd machine, and over there:
>
> zpool import ship
>
> i have this note from oracle support that says
> you need the SUNWXCall cluster installed on both -- that is
> the biggest cluster you can choose during
> install (except maybe the one w/ 3rd party
> drivers). any truth to this? unfortunately, i have
> only one test machine. i have the developer cluster,
> not the entire cluster. on the single machine, it works.
>
> /etc/release sez: Solaris 10 5/09 s10s_u7wos_08

I've never heard that one before. I've been swapping ZFS drives between
machines sice ZFS first appeared.

I assume your subject is misleading and you are moving a pool between
systems.

--
Ian Collins
From: Richard B. Gilbert on
Ian Collins wrote:
> On 05/ 1/10 06:48 AM, jay wrote:
>> here's how it's supposed to work:
>>
>> on the 1st machine:
>> zpool export ship
>>
>> move the disk to the 2nd machine, and over there:
>>
>> zpool import ship
>>
>> i have this note from oracle support that says
>> you need the SUNWXCall cluster installed on both -- that is

TYPO ALERT!!!!!!! Believe that should read SUNWCXALL

Dylsexia alert?? ;-)