From: Hans Schulze on
I have seen the same problem when network drives are mapped to laptops that
are shut down. Workaround for some cases is to put a link to target and
disconnect network drive.

Same problem happens when any drive on the system is asleep or having a
retry. Nothing moves. Especially bad when trying to mop up the mess around
a hard disk failure that SMART is supposed to solve.

Doesn't make sense when accessing C: that F: must spin or access.

This is an old problem, years.