From: Tim Meddick on
Something is definitely getting lost in translation here!...

If indeed, as you say, BOTH Primary AND Secondary IDE controller channels are OFF in
the BIOS then certainly you would NOT* be booting from the hard drive!

The reason there is this setting in the BIOS is for troubleshooting and certainly,
you should be able to change their setting....

*(Except, possibly, if you are using SATA HDs)
==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: Peter Foldes on
I am sorry that you do not want to hear Upper and Lower filters but Code 31 that you
are receiving is the following and use the manual repair and not the automated

Code 31
Peter

From: Sysu on
Sad but true. When I click the arrows it says: Unknown and n/a and that is
all I get. I copied the info if it will aid you in helping me, it is kind of
long so bear with me. It is the Drive config. and boot sequence in bios and
what it shows.
BIOS
Drive Configuration
Diskette Drive A 3.5nch, 1.44mb
Primary Master Drive Hard Drive (WDC WD400EB-75CPF0)
'' Slave Drive OFF (model unknown)
Secondary Master Drive OFF " "
" Slave Drive OFF " "

IDE Drive UDMA ON

Boot Sequence
CD-Rom device (not installed)
Floppy Device ON
Hard Disk Drive C ( has a check in front of it)
Hope this is pertinent info. I am a novice at this.

From: Sysu on
Thanks for your response Peter. But if you read my original post, I tried
everything mentioned in the threads . Code 31 is what I am getting. Windows
cannot load the drivers. and Bios says CD-rom is not installed. I found no
upper or lower filters mentioned in the reg. key to look for and delete.

I am a novice at this and not sure about the SATA HD you mentioned.

From: glee on
The hard drive model number you listed in your other reply here:
WD400EB-75CPF0, is not a SATA drive, it is a 40GB Western Digital PATA
drive (IDE connection).

Your problem appears to be, as I stated in my original reply, that you
do not have the secondary IDE channel enabled in the BIOS.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

> [...]
>> > primary
>> > channel showing) are not in C:/Windows/System32/Drivers/
>> > storprop.dll(primary) and pciidex.sys.
>> > I was told that senfilt.sys should not be in system 32. At one
>> > point it was
>> > not there but in the registry.
>> > I have not installed the driver for Multimedia Digital Audio
>> > driver. I did
>> > the add hardware wizard and it said 'Windows cannot load the
>> > drivers for this
>> > device(DVD/CD-ROM) Code 31.
>> >
>> > In my registry by CDROM in two places are two terms I don't
>> > understand.
>> > INITIALFAIL(by reg.key for deleting filters) and AutoRunDisable(by
>> > cdrom.sys)
>> >
>> > How can I get the drivers for DVD/CD-ROM to load and not in concert
>> > with
>> > Multimedia Audio Controller that installs SoundMax drivers for

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: bluetooth dog gone
Next: Help with two Windows folders