From: Robert on
Hi,

Is there any difference between internet on 2g versus 3g phones other
than speed. For example can the 3g phones handle content that 2g
phones cannot?

Our car broke down whilst on holiday and we were looking for the
nearest Vauxhall dealer. On our 2g phone we couldn't use the "find
your dealer" bit on their web site because it was in flash.

I'm not phone-savvy, do all phones or only some or none at all,
display flash?

I'm thinking it is time to upgrade the handset and I'm not sure what
to look for. TIA
From: mark on
On Jul 2, 1:09 pm, Robert <rob...(a)locumpoint.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any difference between internet on 2g versus 3g phones other
> than speed. For example can the 3g phones handle content that 2g
> phones cannot?
>
> Our car broke down whilst on holiday and we were looking for the
> nearest Vauxhall dealer. On our 2g phone we couldn't use the "find
> your dealer" bit on their web site because it was in flash.
>
> I'm not phone-savvy, do all phones or only some or none at all,
> display flash?
>
> I'm thinking it is time to upgrade the handset and I'm not sure what
> to look for. TIA

I guess simply, the newer, more expensive handsets will have more
capabilities. But there is nothing from a standards perspective to
force this. Many new handsets will not be able to support flash whilst
others will - it's down to Adobe releasing the app for the handset and
for some they will and others they won't.

Next time, try yell.com to search as this is a pretty standard web
page without the bells and whistles.

Cheers,
Mark
From: Robert on
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 05:55:43 -0700 (PDT), mark <marpate2(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Next time, try yell.com to search as this is a pretty standard web
>page without the bells and whistles.

I made the mistake of calling them. Ouch, that turned out to be
expensive! They could only find a garage rather than a specific type
of garage or so their person told me. I guess it didn't help that we
didn't know the franchise's name. I don't know whether we would have
had more luck using their web site. Thanks
From: divoch on

"mark" <marpate2(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Jul 2, 1:09 pm, Robert <rob...(a)locumpoint.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any difference between internet on 2g versus 3g phones other
> than speed. For example can the 3g phones handle content that 2g
> phones cannot?
>
> Our car broke down whilst on holiday and we were looking for the
> nearest Vauxhall dealer. On our 2g phone we couldn't use the "find
> your dealer" bit on their web site because it was in flash.
>
> I'm not phone-savvy, do all phones or only some or none at all,
> display flash?
>
> I'm thinking it is time to upgrade the handset and I'm not sure what
> to look for. TIA

I guess simply, the newer, more expensive handsets will have more
capabilities. But there is nothing from a standards perspective to
force this. Many new handsets will not be able to support flash whilst
others will - it's down to Adobe releasing the app for the handset and
for some they will and others they won't.

Where or how can one find the extend of internet capabilities of current
mobiles, including flash support mentioned etc. When I buy netbook I have a
pretty good idea of what it is capable but it seems to be more difficult to
find what mobiles capabilities are in this respect.
divoch

From: Andy Burns on
Peter wrote:

> Flash 10.1 is "standard" in Android v2.2

Well, it's available.

> if you go for the iPhone, there may be a problem with [...]
> signal strength.

Also Skeletor has decided thou must not install Flash on an iPhone.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: best mobile for web?
Next: Which mobile is best?