From: terryc on
Playing with a dust covered Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM-775 motherboard.
It seems it has just managed to die in the midst of causing other
problems to its owner(the next door kid).

Basically, stripped it out, blew out the dust bunnies(cough cough),
reseated the cpu, cleared the CMOS, reconnected only the power supply,
CPU, ram stick, the M/B(power) switch, the Reset switch and M/B speaker.
(ogh mouse, keyboard and video cables)

Responds to the M/B power switch in that the cpu fan comes on, no beeps,
no video, zip zilch, nothing. Will turn off if the reset switch is
pressed, but doesn't restart or respond to any switch after that until
you remove the power cable and re-insert.

Cactus/broke/frisbee ?

From: Rod Speed on
terryc wrote:

> Playing with a dust covered Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM-775
> motherboard. It seems it has just managed to die in the
> midst of causing other problems to its owner(the next door kid).

> Basically, stripped it out, blew out the dust bunnies(cough cough),
> reseated the cpu, cleared the CMOS, reconnected only the power
> supply, CPU, ram stick, the M/B(power) switch, the Reset switch
> and M/B speaker.

> (ogh mouse, keyboard and video cables)

What does that mean ? Some systems wont
do anything without a keyboard or video cable.

> Responds to the M/B power switch in that the cpu fan comes
> on, no beeps, no video, zip zilch, nothing. Will turn off if the
> reset switch is pressed, but doesn't restart or respond to any
> switch after that until you remove the power cable and re-insert.

I'd try it loose on the desktop, you can get a short to case etc.

I'd try it with no ram at all, to see if that changes the symptoms.

Obviously check for visible bad caps.

From: Trevor Wilson on
terryc wrote:
> Playing with a dust covered Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM-775 motherboard.
> It seems it has just managed to die in the midst of causing other
> problems to its owner(the next door kid).
>
> Basically, stripped it out, blew out the dust bunnies(cough cough),
> reseated the cpu, cleared the CMOS, reconnected only the power
> supply, CPU, ram stick, the M/B(power) switch, the Reset switch and
> M/B speaker. (ogh mouse, keyboard and video cables)
>
> Responds to the M/B power switch in that the cpu fan comes on, no
> beeps, no video, zip zilch, nothing. Will turn off if the reset
> switch is pressed, but doesn't restart or respond to any switch after
> that until you remove the power cable and re-insert.
>
> Cactus/broke/frisbee ?

**Mine did this last year. It turned out to be the power supply, but I have
experienced similar faults with dodgy RAM.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

From: terryc on
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 04:51:32 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

Thanks for ideas.

> I'd try it loose on the desktop, you can get a short to case etc.

Yep, did that. I've seen that problem on previous computers.

> I'd try it with no ram at all, to see if that changes the symptoms.

Unfortunately the same. just the fans power on, and responds once to the
two switches, then zip zilch, not a chirp even, no video signals.

> Obviously check for visible bad caps.

None of those.

Trouble is that I don't have any other 775 mobos or 775 cpus in the shed
to try those parts out separately. Anyway, might see if the LCS can flip
me a 2nd hand one for $10 for testing.
From: terryc on
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 06:54:23 +1000, Trevor Wilson wrote:

Cactus/broke/frisbee ?

> **Mine did this last year. It turned out to be the power supply, but I
> have experienced similar faults with dodgy RAM.

Thanks for ideas.

Swapped both those in the testing. Same result.