From: MZB on
William:

Thanks for your help.
I'd like to do the uninstall/reinstall thing but I'm not sure how.

Do I go into Device Manager, get to primary IDE Channel, right click, and
then click uninstall?

If so, then how do I reinstall it.

Also, when I right-click there is an option to update driver. Should I click
on that?

Also, Event Viewer indicate the following:

The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.

Does that tell us something?

Mel

From: MZB on
Follow up question:
In device manager, just above Primary IDE Channel, it lists Intel...ATA
Storage Controllers. Is THAT what I uninstall?

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

Generally speaking, I have had the best results by removing the
individual IDE channels first and then removing the "Intel ATA/Ultra
ATA Storage Controllers" entry.

Immediately after you do, reboot the system. Windows will reload the
drivers after you log in or the computer comes to the desktop. Give it
time to do this--you'll know when it's done because the little "your
new hardware is now ready to use" notice will appear above the system
clock.

I've seen that "device did not respond within the timeout period"
entry in the Event Viewer, and it may be perfectly normal. However, if
you continue to have problems, this can indicate a hard disk that is
having trouble responding to requests in a timely fashion. I would
start by inspecting the hard disk cable first.

You didn't mention what Dell system you are using in this thread, but
I'm going to assume it's a PATA system as opposed to SATA. As such,
you should have an 80 conductor IDE cable (the individual wires will
be finer than a 40 conductor cable, which you will probably find going
to your optical drive) going to the hard drive. If you don't, get one.
(They're a few bucks from any computer parts store at the most. Or
they might give you one for free if they do a lot of system builds and
have extras laying around.) Buy the shortest one that will meet your
needs.

The "update your device driver" option will do two things if you
choose it:

1. You will be asked to provide a newer driver. This is the best case.
However, A) I doubt very much that you need or want to do this and B)
if you really do, the best way is to download the Intel chipset
software installer directly from Intel and use it.

2. If Windows doesn't find a newer driver on the system or you don't
provide one, Windows may try to get a driver from Windows Update. You
won't want this to happen...the drivers that come from Windows Update
are usually out of date in the best case and usually don't work 100%
correctly.

William
From: MZB on
Hi:

I'm still very confused on what to do exactly and I don't want to screw
things up. Under Device Manager I have:

IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS.
Under that I have:
Intel(R)....ultra ATA storage controllers

and then:

Primary ID Channel.

So, by remove you mean uninstall? Right?
So I right-click and do that.

Do I start with the Primary ID Channel and then immediately reboot and then
do it to the Intel storage controllers?

My data is backed up.

From: Brian K on
Mel,

Start with the Primary IDE channel. Uninstall and reboot. Then see if you
can set DMA.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: HDD Swap