From: MZB on
William and Brian:

OK, I started with the primary IDE channel. Before doing this, things had
gotten worse. Constant freezing, even at bootup. I would only be able to
boot up successfully 1 out of 3 times and even when that happened I could
use the computer for maybe a few minutes or 2 hours, but often it would
freeze.

Anyway, I did the primary IDE last night and since then no problems.
However, today when I booted up it again said it found new hardware, but
this time the CD-ROM drive (Phillips). So, it installed that.

I'm not sure if this was a one-time only deal or that it will do this every
time. I'll know soon.

One other question: could this be a CMOS battery problem? It's probably time
for a new battery, but it is not easy to replace. I would have to have that
done for me.
(http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins2200/en/SM/coincell.htm).

Now, if the problem occurs again, should I then proceed to remove the
controller and then reboot?

Mel

From: mb_ on
On Apr 27, 9:23 am, "MZB" <m...(a)noway.prudigy.net> wrote:
> William and Brian:
>
> OK, I started with the primary IDE channel. Before doing this, things had
> gotten worse. Constant freezing, even at bootup. I would only be able to
> boot up successfully 1 out of 3 times and even when that happened I could
> use the computer for maybe a few minutes or 2 hours, but often it would
> freeze.
>
> Anyway, I did the primary IDE last night and since then no problems.
> However, today when I booted up it again said it found new hardware, but
> this time the CD-ROM drive (Phillips). So, it installed that.
>
> I'm not sure if this was a one-time only deal or that it will do this every
> time. I'll know soon.
>
> One other question: could this be a CMOS battery problem? It's probably time
> for a new battery, but it is not easy to replace. I would have to have that
> done for me.
> (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins2200/en/SM/coincell.htm).
>
> Now, if the problem occurs again, should I then proceed to remove the
> controller and then reboot?
>
> Mel
>
> "Brian K" <remove_t...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Mel,
>
> > Start with the Primary IDE channel. Uninstall and reboot. Then see if you
> > can set DMA.- Hide quoted text -

Sadly, computer freezes are back.

Mel
From: Brian K on
Mel,

Have you checked your RAM with MemTest86+ V4.00?

Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) and burn it with ImghBurn.

from http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Let the app run overnight.

From: Brian K on
I meant to say unzip the file and burn the .ISO with ImgBurn.

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> OK, I started with the primary IDE channel. Before doing this,
> things had gotten worse. Constant freezing, even at bootup.
> I would only be able to boot up successfully 1 out of 3 times

You could have a hard disk going bad, but if you did, I'd expect much
more consistent misbehavior. (However, that points mainly to
mechanical failure of the drive, which is usually pretty consistent.
Electronic device failures (components on the drive's circuit board)
are also possible and can cause pretty screwy behavior.)

As Brian K pointed out, checking the rest of the computer is a good
idea to be sure it's working. In addition to Memtest86, I'd suggest
running the Dell diagnostics (F12 at POST time) if you still have them
on the hard disk. That way you can be reasonably sure the computer
itself is not having a meltdown.

Also check the system and power supply fans to be sure they are
running.

William
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3