From: Helmut Hullen on
Hallo, Sylvain,

Du meintest am 07.06.10:

> - we don't know where the someone attempting to access your
> computer physically was at the time. We only know they attempted
> to access your computer from another one whose IP address is
> registered in China.

> - we don't have sufficient information to know whether these
> attempted accesses were indicative of an attempted intrusion
> ("hack", as you worded it). What we know is that they attempted
> to access three non-existent accounts on your computer and
> failed. Chances are you have access to more logs that might
> indicate further access attempts, and more importantly, you are
> in a better position to determine whether these are authorized or
> not.

Perhaps ... if the bad guy is not only bad but smart too then he fakes
the log files.

Viele Gruesse
Helmut

From: Sylvain Robitaille on
Helmut Hullen wrote:

> ... if the bad guy is not only bad but smart too then he fakes
> the log files.

More likely he would remove selected entries. This way there is
less chance that the logs don't "look right". They just end up being
incomplete. I don't think that's what we're dealing with here, though.

Again, my point: don't worry about log lines that indicate someone
failed to access the computer. Those indicate that access controls
are working. Worry instead about those that indicate someone *did*
gain access, especially if such access wasn't authorized.

Sophisticated intruders don't generally target personal computers;
They're more interested in bigger payoffs. Personal computers will
more likely see automated attacks for the purpose of running spambots
or similar simple attacks.

Sylvain Robitaille syl(a)encs.concordia.ca

Systems analyst / AITS Concordia University
Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science Montreal, Quebec, Canada