From: jean michel on
je ne sais pas

DavidM wrote:

Re: Automatically login to network share?
24-Jan-09

I have lodged a support query with LaCie and will let you know what I
find out, from them or elsewhere.
David.

On Friday, January 23, 2009 11:52 AM
DavidM wrote:

Automatically login to network share?
I've just bought a 1Tb LaCie ethernet disk mini (NAS drive). It's set
up and working ok, and I've mapped the share to a drive letter
(including reconnect at logon). Problem is I have to enter the
password before I can access the drive.

My backup (to the NAS drive) programs run automatically the first
time each user logs into Windows each day, and I don't want to have to
logon to the share and then manually run them.

The Lacie drive won't allow me to create a share without a password.

How can I get an automatic logon to the network share when each user
logs in to Windows (in simple terms please - I'm not a networks whiz
by any means)?

(running XP home, SP2).

Thanks, David

On Friday, January 23, 2009 1:08 PM
Twayne wrote:

I was looking at that same drive recently - it was the first time I'd come
I was looking at that same drive recently - it was
the first time I'd come across an ethernet styled
external drive. I ended up taking a pass on it
because of a worry about the very situation you
describe, plus not having anything better than
10/100 ethernet capability, but I didn't try to
ask any questions directly of them and instead
moved on to the USB type because I was in a hurry.
I suspect from what I read online, you'd have
to find your answer either in their FAQs onilne,
or by asking them directly at Support. I need and
want unattended operation whenever I decide to
enable the drive, so I took a pass on it, but, for
future use I hope you'll post your resolution when
you get it.

I couldn't wait as my current external drive
has gone belly up (a Western digital) after about
2 years of use from, I think, a lightning hit one
literally sunny afternoon<g> when a background
incremental backup decided to run. Took out my
voice modem too, but unfortunately I seldom use
it, so not much loss there, and so far everything
else seems OK. It did fry the protection on the
modem & blew the line fuses though. And my
secondary external is only 160 Gig, so eventually
I want to replace it with a 1 Terabyte drive too.

Hope you'll keep us posted,

Twayne

On Saturday, January 24, 2009 4:24 AM
DavidM wrote:

Re: Automatically login to network share?
I have lodged a support query with LaCie and will let you know what I
find out, from them or elsewhere.
David.

On Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:51 AM
DavidM wrote:

Re: Automatically login to network share?
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 16:52:21 +0000, DavidM
<davidm_uk_notme(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

Well, I've been able to find a solution, although it's a bit
"agricultural" (and maybe shows my age!).

I use a batch file with the command NET USE as follows:

@echo off
REM Wait for about 30 seconds then map network drive EDMINI\share to
dive letter N:
ping -n 1 -w 20000 192.168.1.96 >nul
net use n: \\EDMINI\share xxxxx /USER:yyyy
exit

The ping command inserts a delay of about 20 seconds after the batch
file is run and before executing the net use command. This allows time
after the user has logged on for the network connection to the drive
to get established. Apparently using the ping command is the least
resource use way of putting a delay in a batch file. I've used this
before with values up to 6000 (about 1 minute) and it seems ok.

The net use command then maps the share to drive n: using user name
yyyy with password xxxx.

I then created a shortcut for the batch file and inserted this into
the STARTUP folder in the Start\Programs menu for all users. The
shortcut properties are set to run the batch file minimsed.

If the share is already mapped when the batch file is run, the net use
command just reports an error, and the batch file continues to it's
natural end with no ill effects.

So far, this seems to be working reliably.

The main issue to be considered is that the user name and password are
in full view in the batch file. I've decided that I can live with this
risk, others may not, and maybe there's another way of doing this.

(from start menu/run type cmd, then in the command window type

net use /help

to get a full list of the net use command switches. Note that the
SAVECRED switch is not available in XP Home)

Hope someone finds this useful.

David

Join Lists with LINQ - SharePoint 2010
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/b0c1cd0d-fe82-444e-a16e-7d3fb7d38eca/join-lists-with-linq--sh.aspx