From: Steve Howard on
On Jun 20, 12:51 pm, tb <t.be...(a)web.de> wrote:
> When i'm using expdp there, is no progress after one hour.

Hi,

What is it waiting on?

Regards,

Steve
From: joel garry on
On Jun 21, 12:24 am, Noons <wizofo...(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> tb wrote,on my timestamp of 21/06/2010 2:51 AM:
>
> >   i have to move a 10.2.0.3 database from solaris sparc to red hat
> > linux. I see 4 possibilities
>
> > 1. exp/imp
> > 2. expdp/impdp
> > 3. Transportable Tablespaces
> > 4. Oracle Streams
>
> > The first approach was expdp and was not succesful, because there are
> > 400000 database objects in a 100GByte database.  When i'm using expdp
> > there, is no progress after one hour. I think exp will take between 30
> > and 35 hours. Any idea is welcome.
>
> That must be indeed a very slooooow Solaris sparc system!
> I regularly export 100GB with expdp in AIX in much less than 2 hours.
> Admittedly: a lot less than 400k db objects.  Around 75K.

See http://www.orafaq.com/usenet/comp.databases.oracle.server/2006/11/15/0883.htm

expdp springs memory leaks (see bug 5095025 for too little
information), and Solaris just generally seems to have idiosyncratic
performance issues, which I say based on the posts I've seen in
various places, my personal knowledge of it is way old, but it was
true then, too.

See http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2009/06/07/pga-leaks/ and
Tanel's stuff referenced there and the interesting comments for some
things to look at.

For me, 50G (export size) direct path exp takes 45 minutes, full rman
about an hour on hp-ux, low end san.

Some people have complained about LOB and domain indexes expdp
performance.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
"Any sufficiently optimistic statement is indistinguishable from
From: Noons on
joel garry wrote,on my timestamp of 22/06/2010 3:09 AM:

>> That must be indeed a very slooooow Solaris sparc system!
>> I regularly export 100GB with expdp in AIX in much less than 2 hours.
>> Admittedly: a lot less than 400k db objects. Around 75K.
>
> See http://www.orafaq.com/usenet/comp.databases.oracle.server/2006/11/15/0883.htm
>
> expdp springs memory leaks (see bug 5095025 for too little
> information), and Solaris just generally seems to have idiosyncratic
> performance issues, which I say based on the posts I've seen in
> various places, my personal knowledge of it is way old, but it was
> true then, too.

Yikes! And this is now Oracle's own OS...
I'm truly glad we decided to ditch all Solaris stuff a few years ago and gone
all AIX/Looneeks! Long before it all became Oracle.

> For me, 50G (export size) direct path exp takes 45 minutes, full rman
> about an hour on hp-ux, low end san.

Ball park what I get as well with AIX, 10.2.0.3 patched to the ears.

> Some people have complained about LOB and domain indexes expdp
> performance.

Haven't had a problem. In fact if anything, I'm impressed with datapump's
performance and capability in AIX! Use it all the time now, instead of good ole
exp/imp.
The only problem so far was a glitch that stopped sub-partitioned tables from
being imported in both data mode and transportable ts mode. Quickly fixed by
application of a patch that changed the XML skeleton used by the datapump mechanism.