From: Greg Russell on
"Spamlet" <spam.morespam(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> Still seems silly that XP should have come with playing and editing
software
> that weren't updated to handle similar packages.

Silly is an understatement of the year candidate when speaking of M$.

ffmpeg will not only convert any known current media type to any other type,
but allows cropping, i/o bitrate manipulations, and more other options than
one can shake a stick at. Still, it's as easy to use as a simple command
with two arguments on the command-line. The options are where the power is
at.

One might even find a GUI frontend for it, if a weenie needs one.

http://ffmpeg.org is updated almost daily, as the author takes a very active
interest in all things media.

From: Spamlet on

"Greg Russell" <grussell(a)example.con> wrote in message
> "Spamlet" <spam.morespam(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>
>> Still seems silly that XP should have come with playing and editing
> software
>> that weren't updated to handle similar packages.
>
> Silly is an understatement of the year candidate when speaking of M$.
>
> ffmpeg will not only convert any known current media type to any other
> type,
> but allows cropping, i/o bitrate manipulations, and more other options
> than
> one can shake a stick at. Still, it's as easy to use as a simple command
> with two arguments on the command-line. The options are where the power is
> at.
>
> One might even find a GUI frontend for it, if a weenie needs one.
>
> http://ffmpeg.org is updated almost daily, as the author takes a very
> active
> interest in all things media.

Thanks. I'll keep a note of that for next time I'm back on the main pc. I do
have several options there already, but they are mostly things I've
accumulated rather haphazzardly, often bundled with other things.

Cheers,

From: VanguardLH on
Spamlet wrote:

> Still seems silly that XP should have come with playing and editing software
> that weren't updated to handle similar packages.

MPEG-4 was Apple's bastardization, ahem, evolution of MPEG-2; see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicktime, "On February 11, 1998, the ISO
approved the QuickTime file format as the basis of the MPEG-4 file
format." Microsoft relunctantly added [some] support for MPEG-4 when it
became too popular to ignore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpeg-4:
"Most of the features included in MPEG-4 are left to individual
developers to decide whether to implement them. This means that there
are probably no complete implementations of the entire MPEG-4 set of
standards."
From: Spamlet on

"VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote in message
> Spamlet wrote:
>
>> Still seems silly that XP should have come with playing and editing
>> software
>> that weren't updated to handle similar packages.
>
> MPEG-4 was Apple's bastardization, ahem, evolution of MPEG-2; see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicktime, "On February 11, 1998, the ISO
> approved the QuickTime file format as the basis of the MPEG-4 file
> format." Microsoft relunctantly added [some] support for MPEG-4 when it
> became too popular to ignore.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpeg-4:
> "Most of the features included in MPEG-4 are left to individual
> developers to decide whether to implement them. This means that there
> are probably no complete implementations of the entire MPEG-4 set of
> standards."

Thanks for clarification. 'Standards' wot standards ;-)

From: Bert Hyman on
In news:i3f3d8$o1q$1(a)news.eternal-september.org "Spamlet"
<spam.morespam(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Thanks for clarification. 'Standards' wot standards ;-)

Standards are great; everybody should have one of their own!

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert(a)iphouse.com