From: SteveG on
Is there a good mp3 player for openSUSE 10.2?

I've got thousands of mp3 music files but Amorak says it can't play them :-(

TIA

Steve G
From: Vance Howard on
SteveG wrote:
> Is there a good mp3 player for openSUSE 10.2?
>
> I've got thousands of mp3 music files but Amorak says it can't play them :-(
>
> TIA
>
> Steve G
Opensuse 10.2 is not able to play mp3's or dvd's from fresh install.
Goto this http://www.softwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/60/ web site
and follow the directions. Then Amarok will be able to play mp3's and
Mplayer will be able to play dvd's.
From: Barnacle Bill the Sailor on
Vance Howard wrote:
> SteveG wrote:
>> Is there a good mp3 player for openSUSE 10.2?
>>
>> I've got thousands of mp3 music files but Amorak says it can't play them :-(
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Steve G
> Opensuse 10.2 is not able to play mp3's or dvd's from fresh install.
> Goto this http://www.softwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/60/ web site
> and follow the directions. Then Amarok will be able to play mp3's and
> Mplayer will be able to play dvd's.

What he said....and I like VLC Media Player from Videolan.org and
RealPlayer for Linux is good too, also available is Helix Banshee which
is a development based on Real IIRC. You will need gstreamer and as many
plugins for it as you can find for best use.

I have found that when I got VLC and Real, and then gstreamer fully
plugged in, that most all my media packages magically worked, not always
the way I like things to work but much of Linux is a work in progress right?
From: EOS on
SteveG wrote:

> I've got thousands of mp3 music files but Amorak says it can't play them
> :-(

install "libxine1" instead of xinelib
(and w32codec )
http://packman.links2linux.de/package/124
--
EOS
www.photo-memories.be
From: noi on
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 00:32:41 +0000, SteveG wrote this:

> Is there a good mp3 player for openSUSE 10.2?
>
> I've got thousands of mp3 music files but Amorak says it can't play them
> :-(
>
> TIA
>
> Steve G
Install xine libs and w32codecs from packman.
and use Kaffeine. Amarok has problems, Kaffeine doesn't.

Kaffeine will play from playlists or directories. I haven't exceeded it's
limit yet but I'm not trying to play 1000s of tunes at once. Kaffeine is
the better gui multimedia player but mplayer is the best
all-round multi-media player/encoder.

# requires gui
$ kaffeine ~/music/*mp3 ~/music/*m3u ~/music/*.pls

# does not require gui or the gui frontend gmplayer
$ mplayer ~/music/*mp3 ~/music/*m3u ~/music/*.pls